Questions after seeing a Dominican movie

M

mrgood1000

I assume that there are many here who saw the 1995 film "Nuebla Yol". In it the Dominican leading man (the actor died at 65 a couple months ago...big name) gives money to a friend so the latter can bribe an American consulate employee to obtain a visa for him. At first he is in disbelief that the deal can be pulled off at all saying, "I don't believe you. I have been rejected four times already." And in his sadness and frustration says (official movie translation) "This country sucks. If you want eggs you have to lay them yourself."
I read on the net that around 60% of those polled would like to leave. It sounds like if you are a Dominican, life is perceived as being hard with no light at the end of the tunnel but if you have money in your pocket like an expat then you can have a good life. This is like anywhere in the world including wherever expats are from. But when I saw this flick I sort of felt bad for the average guy. Does the DR truly suck? Please advise

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I would agree with Windeguy.

My Dominican missus for example, has no desire to leave the DR even though I've taken her to the UK.

Many Dominicans I speak to, ask me what I think of their country and they are very proud and patriotic. Especially the educated ones with a profession.

Those that are not so fortunate will look for greener grass overseas, but if they make it there and have the opportunity to return, I would say that most would.

Mar 1, 2009
Like my father say's "eso depende". I am Dominican, I've lived all over. Now I live in DR and Florida. Knowing what I know now and having travelled, I love my Santo Domingo like no other. However when I lived in Santo Domingo full time as a young pre-teen I couldn't wait to leave and see the world. Many Dominican's want to go out and see what is out there, lured by stories, scenes on tv. tales of fabulous riches in Nueva Yol. Other Dominicans are living the life in DR baby, they have visas travel, got money, some seldom leave and have a full life here & have no interest in whats over there.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Like Windeguy said: it depends on what sucks for you. But to me, DR does NOT suck at all. It all depends on what you like and you consider priorities to be for yourself.

One thing to consider however, if you are visiting DR you can’t expect it to be like the USA or any other country. Some people really get caught up with what is missing or how it differs from ‘back home’ but is NOT that other place, it is the Dominican Republic!

I think it has been ingrained to want to leave the DR. I remember as a little girl and my mom finally got her 'papers' I officially was the coolest thing in town because it meant I was leaving soon too. Meanwhile, for the first few years, I always felt like I was just here in-transit, as if we were always 'on our way back' at any given moment.

As I grew older, married, had my own kids, I still LOVE my country - but I feel NJ is home for me. I go back as often as I can, because there is no explaining the feeling you get when you go back to where you came from.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it all depends on particular cases.
many poor dominicans see gringos and turistas having everything and they perceive america or europe as paradise. for them - DR sucks. they want out. they want to HAVE.
dominicans who did travel aboroad already rarely want to leave DR for good. the majority of those who travel are rich - for them life is all good anyway. others realise that in america/europe one has to work, pay taxes, pay bills, dios mio! no drink driving, no loud music and hair salons are expensive :)

Reactions: Tamborista
May 12, 2005
I think just about all the poor folks would love to get up and leave. After all aren't all the streets paved with gold and money grows on trees in Nueba Yol. Right? However if you ask the middle and upper class folks in DR, they are happy and have very good lives in DR. Funny thing I have noticed, most peoople in Nueba Yol want to live in DR and people in DR want to live in Nueba Yol.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I think just about all the poor folks would love to get up and leave. After all aren't all the streets paved with gold and money grows on trees in Nueba Yol. Right? However if you ask the middle and upper class folks in DR, they are happy and have very good lives in DR. Funny thing I have noticed, most peoople in Nueba Yol want to live in DR and people in DR want to live in Nueba Yol.

"Estoy aqui pero mi mente esta alla"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsKqmhFefw

Reactions: Tamborista

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I assume that there are many here who saw the 1995 film "Nuebla Yol". In it the Dominican leading man (the actor died at 65 a couple months ago...big name) gives money to a friend so the latter can bribe an American consulate employee to obtain a visa for him. At first he is in disbelief that the deal can be pulled off at all saying, "I don't believe you. I have been rejected four times already." And in his sadness and frustration says (official movie translation) "This country sucks. If you want eggs you have to lay them yourself."
I read on the net that around 60% of those polled would like to leave. It sounds like if you are a Dominican, life is perceived as being hard with no light at the end of the tunnel but if you have money in your pocket like an expat then you can have a good life. This is like anywhere in the world including wherever expats are from. But when I saw this flick I sort of felt bad for the average guy. Does the DR truly suck? Please advise

NO... DR does not suck at all....
This is a great country, where people still have good feelings and care about others.
Like any other country, they are bad and good things..
Ups and down...but in general I love it....
Nice weather, very good neighbors, inexpensive maids, excellent workout trainers, food and so on....

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I think most Dominicans would simply like to have the option to travel and the finances to make it a possibility.
Then they could find out how much the D.R. does not suck compared to the rest of the world.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Or how much more they should be expecting from the political leaders and other government services. Or how much they are missing out being pseudo-ostracized in terms of literature, music and other fine arts.

M

mrgood1000

Let's just say that the DR is a backwards and frequently violent country but with lots of friendly people and is cheap for expats. We can leave it there. :bored:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I think most Dominicans would simply like to have the option to travel and the finances to make it a possibility.
Then they could find out how much the D.R. does not suck compared to the rest of the world.

Yes, I think this is correct. The option to say: I have been out of here and can choose to leave again...

I don't think is the case with everyone, but I haven't heard one Dominican who NEVER wants to go back at all!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Dominicans like the option of earning a good salary, that's the sole reason they want to go to NY, even though they would love to stay in the DR if they could. Is not the same to work a whole month to get paid 300 bucks when you can get more than that weekly in los paises. They feel that going to NY is a "sacrificio" they have to make in order to save some money and buy a house in the DR. Some make it, others make it doing illegal stuff and others don't.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yes, I think this is correct. The option to say: I have been out of here and can choose to leave again...

I don't think is the case with everyone, but I haven't heard one Dominican who NEVER wants to go back at all!

I can go this one better, a line in a Labelle song "what can you do for me": "People want to LIVE not merely exist"

I have heard many that say they NEVER want to go back. And can introduce them out to you.

Extreme $300 aint much in NY nor US $, from your statement many of these folks will just be working in vain waiting for the day to meet their glory.