Orchids / Birdhouses

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Two questions -
Anyone have any luck with growing Orchids?
We have a number of plants and although still green seem dormant and not much happening.

Birdhouses - we are living in a quieter part of PoP now and have a number of trees and can actually hear the birds.

Has anyone had a birdhouse and if so is it worth it? How to do it?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Orchids will bloom eventually.
Build bird houses, they will come. Make them different sizes...
There are orchid societies here, find one.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mist orchids with water - they like humid
bird houses ----errrm I think they build their own, you could try hummingbird feeders to attract the little blighters,

Aug 21, 2007
If you have any clump palms (don't know if that is the right term), orchids love them. I keep orchids on my porch until they stop blooming. Then I put them in the middle of the trunks of the clump palms. They love the filtered sun and always start blooming again. Don't water more than once a week and be sure to have good drainage.

Be patient. Put them in pots and move them around your location until you discover where they most like to be.

It's not an exact science.

Good luck!

Lindsey

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Anyone have any luck with growing Orchids?
We have a number of plants and although still green seem dormant and not much happening.

We have quite a number of orchids growing in separate pots. It is a good idea to secure the pot to the trunk of a coconut tree so the plant is protected by the leaves from direct sunlight. They seem to thrive when planted in the coconut husk fibres (called coir). As previously said, they will bloom eventually and then just keep producing more and more beautiful flowers.

Last edited:

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Strange birds orchids, have some that will not stop blooming and others that go dormant for 12/15 months then bloom like mad for 30 odd days then nuthin for another yr or so.
Good advise above about moving them around slowly until you find a place in the light shade where their happy. I've found they like a very light breeze on them as well.

Just throw some seed or cracked corn, stale bread whatever you have and the birds will come, no need to build them a house if you got trees.
We have doves that show up like clockwork when a certain watchie comes on duty because he always throws out a handful of something for them.
It's the small things that make it all beautiful.

May 29, 2006
Any tips on attracting the parrots? I have seen them partially tamed at one of the hotels and on a beach bar. Funny because it was a watchman at the hotel that had tamed some too. He had two or three hanging out with him.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks for all. Guess we are doing things right. Not too much water, mist them, no direct sunlight.

Doves? I thought they were pigeons (which from back home meant dirty).
Patience is the thing I guess - beautiful flower so worth the wait.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
My wife loves orchids. After the bloom, I get, bird screen or chicken wire and attach them to the north side of a coconut palm. Moss grows there and the orchid will attach themselves to the tree. You have to water them some during the first year or if it is really dry. The tree gives shade and the moss helps keep them moist.As said before some bloom more frequently then others, but they're ll great. It's neat to see someting you do turn out so beautiful.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a small bird here, black/greyish with some white (dominicans call it pajaro bobo). it likes to hang around people and if you move around the garden it will sort of follow you :) cute. very calm too but once my mother in law found two of those birdies attack her dog (golden retriever). seeing her the dog spat out a tiny pichon. it was very much alive albait wet. mother in law placed it on a porch roof with parents observing her every move. few minutes later baby was taken away :)