Can the owner enter a rented apartment without tennant?s permission?

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
What does the Dominican law say about the following situation? Is the owner allowed to enter an apartment with a buyer/visitor without the tennant?s permission?

Today when we came home to the apartment, the owner was there with someone who seemed to be a possible buyer. I see it as a security issue. I don?t want strangers to enter my home, when I?m not there.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What does the Dominican law say about the following situation? Is the owner allowed to enter an apartment with a buyer/visitor without the tennant?s permission?

Today when we came home to the apartment, the owner was there with someone who seemed to be a possible buyer. I see it as a security issue. I don?t want strangers to enter my home, when I?m not there.

Change the locks and don't give the owner a key.

This is usually one of the first things many renters do here.

It stops this problem and the fear of previous tenants returning.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

I believe, the answer is no, unless you have not given the owner reasonable (supervised) access. The owner has rights to sell, show the property every now and then and also has a right to access to review his property UPON appointment with the tenant(s). The situation may be different with daily, weekly and other short term vacation rentals, where the owner or operator may have some daily access to the units anyway (motel, apart-hotel situation).

One owners agent tried that once on me (in the DR). I threw the son-of-you-know-what out as I surprised him and informed him in no uncertain terms, that next time, he'd be treated as a "ladron" (thief). He got the message!

And yes, change the locks.

... J-D

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
As an owner put into your rental contract (and all long term rentals should have a contract) that the property is for sale and that with proper notice (24 hours or whatever) you can show the property. YOu should also stipulate that if the property sells either the rental contract will be honored or there will be a time period (30-60days) that the renters will have prior to having to vacate.

Bob K

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As an owner put into your rental contract (and all long term rentals should have a contract) that the property is for sale and that with proper notice (24 hours or whatever) you can show the property. YOu should also stipulate that if the property sells either the rental contract will be honored or there will be a time period (30-60days) that the renters will have prior to having to vacate.

Bob K

Yes, well, please do not forget that you can not enforce a contract or parts of a contract which are in conflict with the law.

... J-D.

Reactions: Adrian Bye

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I don't believe Bob K's 2 points are in conflict with any law and I have seen them in many rental contracts. As long as the agent gives reasonable notice of his wish to show the property and at a reasonable hour that is convenient to the tenant and a reasonable notice period for vacating the property is stated in the contract.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Unless the lease says otherwise, the answer is no. The owner cannot enter into the house. As a matter of fact, entering without permission constitutes trespassing, which is a criminal offense.

if the lease does gives the owner permission to enter, is there any way to stop them?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
"I go back to my orginal post of puting it in your lease (contract). As per Mr Guzman "unless the lease says otherwise"....
So if you plan on selling a unit that you are renting put in the lease contract that with reasonalble notice you can show the property as well as what happens to the tennent if the proprety should sell.

Bob K

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
Unless the lease says otherwise, the answer is no. The owner cannot enter into the house. As a matter of fact, entering without permission constitutes trespassing, which is a criminal offense.

Based on the other replies, I have one more question: Is your above answer the same, even though cleaning is provided by the owner and included in the rent? No other services are included, except for those which are provided by the condo complex and are covered by the condo fee.

A written rental lease exists, but there is no clause which says that the apartment is for sale or under which circumstances the owner can enter the apartment without prior notice.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Based on the other replies, I have one more question: Is your above answer the same, even though cleaning is provided by the owner and included in the rent? No other services are included, except for those which are provided by the condo complex and are covered by the condo fee.

A written rental lease exists, but there is no clause which says that the apartment is for sale or under which circumstances the owner can enter the apartment without prior notice.

I would think that you would want to be involved in scheduling the cleaning of your apartment. You may even want to be present when the apartment is cleaned as a security measure.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
I would think that you would want to be involved in scheduling the cleaning of your apartment. You may even want to be present when the apartment is cleaned as a security measure.

The cleaning is scheduled in the lease. As a security measure it would be a good idea to be present when the cleaning lady is there, but unfortunately she becomes nervous if we are home when she cleans and the quality of her work will not be good. Before she comes I make sure that there are no valuables on sight.