POP to Las Terrenas

VicDamone

Nov 28, 2009
I am flying into POP and would like to go to Las Terrenas. Can anyone advise of the most efficient way to get there (i.e. Metrobus or GuaGua).

A recommendation of decent hotel would also be appreciated (along the lines of Zapata, Costa Lunga, Sea Breeze, etc.) I would like inexpensive, but would prefer A/C and as minimal insects and furry critters as possible. :)

Thanks for the help.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There is a purple guagua that leaves daily from POP around 05h30am. It leaves from in front of the Ricardo Limardo Hospital in POP and we paid $RD200 last October. There is a 15min restroom/beverage stop around Nagua. Get off at Sanchez and from there you can take a moto (at your own peril over that mountain road) or a taxi to LT.

Only hotel I can recommend there is Hotel Alisei but I have no idea how it compares to the ones you have mentioned.

Good luck!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
There is a daily bus from Puerto Plata right to LT which leaves at i.00pm. It is operated by Trasporte Alcibiada. Tel. nos 809 886 6304 & 809 387 4374. By prior tel. call I understand that it would pick you up at the airport. To expand on drloca's post, you could get any autobus or guagua going to Samana and get off at where the LT road branches off, ask the driver or cobrador (conductor) to stop for you. Don't take a motoconcho from there unless you are the very courageous type or fearless. Taxi is expensive. About every half hour there is public taxi, usually a pickup truck, ask when you get there. I do not know what your budget is but I would recommend Hotel Kari Beach, it has a web site. Suerte. Granca.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here's where we stayed - nothing fancy, we liked it a lot. Dinner opens at 7:30 - it was outstanding. Says Swiss-run, but they were only speaking Italian when we were there.

Los Pinos Calle El Portillo Las Terrenas Tel:+1 (809) 240 6168 Rooms in the main building and some attractive bungalows. Lovely terrace and gardens. Swiss-run good quality accommodation

VicDamone

Nov 28, 2009
My plane doesn't arrive until 12:46 pm. Do you recommend staying in POP or Sosua then taking the 0530 am (although I probably would miss this one) or the 1 pm the next day? Or how much would a cab cost if I wanted to go there directly from the airport if I miss the 1 pm GuaGua?

Thanks everyone for all of the recommendations.