And so it begins!!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Theres one thing i love more than copious amounts of Habichuela con leche at this time of year and that is being woken up at stupid O?Clock in the morning by the God Squad and their mega Amp.

I mean is it just me or is it completly mental??? It is bearable in the daytime, but i cant say how many times i have been woken at 3-6am by the most awful singing and screaming from these people.

Allthough i am more spiritual than religious i respect those who are, but it seems there are quite a few here that feel its neccesary to ram it down your throat at 3am, wake the whole house (not great when it takes 3 hours to get your child to sleep).

Maybe someone knows if they feel there is some kind of benefit to the God Squad doing it at these times..maybe they can lure victims in a sleepy daze to bible bash with them ha ha.

OK Rant over...for now!!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
In which part of the country do you live?

I must say that I am usually still bangin' it at 3am on a Friday night so I cannot complain - although do I do try to keep it down out of respect for my fellow human beings.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Theres one thing i love more than copious amounts of Habichuela con leche at this time of year and that is being woken up at stupid O?Clock in the morning by the God Squad and their mega Amp.

I mean is it just me or is it completly mental??? It is bearable in the daytime, but i cant say how many times i have been woken at 3-6am by the most awful singing and screaming from these people.

Allthough i am more spiritual than religious i respect those who are, but it seems there are quite a few here that feel its neccesary to ram it down your throat at 3am, wake the whole house (not great when it takes 3 hours to get your child to sleep).

Maybe someone knows if they feel there is some kind of benefit to the God Squad doing it at these times..maybe they can lure victims in a sleepy daze to bible bash with them ha ha.

OK Rant over...for now!!

I know what you mean, had one of those in front of my house last week early in the morning, he got a piece of my mind!!!
The street before the one I live there're 3 "churches" we're talking about a stretch of 700 mtrs!!!
I'm starting to feel like the DR is the Christian version of Yemen!!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I live in Higuey, wish i could say that i am a party girl but am boring sensible mummy these days ha ha!

Partying is great, i dont deny anyone a good time, but as you said you are at least respectful of those around you.

What i dont understamd is these people are not partying they are preaching, wailing and screaming on a mic with serious wattage at crazy times in the morning...why??????? Surely they would get a better response in the day.

I remember when i first arrived we overlooked a block that consisted of one room apartments, in one particular they used to gather and chant and all that mumbo jumbo with a microphone and speaker system..well they were all in one room and obviously felt they needed to let the whole world know. Sounded like they were scarificing someone ha ha. One morning i thought we were having a earthquake as all my pictures and photos started falling of shelves, only to realize it was the god squad at 5am wailing. I ahve to say a few unpure and very unreligious thoughts came to my mind ha ha as i was 8 months pregnant.

Totally nuts!!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
its intentionally loud; its part of their marketing. i've seen this all over the island, from Santiago to Santo Domingo and even Cap Haitian.

As a result i don't support the evangelicals in other work they do.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I'm a religious person, but that is clearly an abuse of the rights of others. Normally those loud evangelicos with drum and speakers early in the morning are based in barrios. Maybe if you move to a better place you'll be able to avoid them.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
What really bugs me is to be woken by these self proclaimed messengers of God being told i will go to hell if i dont believe etc etc...

Then they will probably go home via their mistresses house and hit the booze!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I'm a religious person, but that is clearly an abuse of the rights of others. Normally those loud evangelicos with drum and speakers early in the morning are based in barrios. Maybe if you move to a better place you'll be able to avoid them.

I live in a So Called "good neighborhood" not a barrio. I must admit i was quite suprised as before i lived in a different area that was ok but wasnt were i live now. Dread to think how the barrios cope this time of year!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Do you have a Junta de Vecinos? Sound them out (no pun intended) on this one, see if you can get all the other mums whose kids will then not go back to sleep, on your side. Then encourage the Junta to take up the issue. And find some quote which reassures them they won't be subjected to gnashing of teeth or plagues of locusts if they address noise pollution by evangelicals. There is a Law on the Prevention, Suppresion & Limitation of Noxious & Bothersome Noises that Produce Sound Pollution :cheeky: Ley 287-04, posted here for your reading pleasure:

Ley 287-04

See also NORMA AMBIENTAL PARA LA PROTECCI?N CONTRA RUIDOS

Some of the dominicans i know have turned away from their former life of alcohol++ and sleeping around. They have all joined this "evangelical" new church.

I do not support these "evangelical" movements, but its good to know that some of the people i know in this country now try to be good humans.
When it comes to the OPs dilemma of loud noice- i would talked to the man in charge in his office, with ALL of the neighbours and their children in the neighbourhood who are affected of this problem. Maybe you should contact TV and media aswell.

Fight fire with fire.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
To be honest i would like to know what the locals think of it, My partner doesnt seem bothered at all even though it woke him up too. He just says "tranquila mami" ha ha.

Its not something i have ever heard a local moan about. ALLthough i live in a good area, I dont live on a gated community and am not surrounded by like minded foreigners.

Maybe i should be some ear plugs ha ha!