Cartons of cigarettes....where are they?

T809

Mar 8, 2010
the other day i went to the store and asked for a carton of newports but all they had was 10 packs wrapped in cellophane and they charged the same price no matter how many i bought. whats up with that? can i not get discounts for cigarettes bought in larger quantities in DR?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
the other day i went to the store and asked for a carton of newports but all they had was 10 packs wrapped in cellophane and they charged the same price no matter how many i bought. whats up with that? can i not get discounts for cigarettes bought in larger quantities in DR?

NO

matilda

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
I've seen cartons around but national brands (nacional, marbolo, ect) at pricemart and Central (in Santiago) I think they are a bit cheaper but not sure. Also, La Nacional carries international cigarette cartons.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I sure hope that you're not complaining about the cost of smokes in the DR - if you're paying $7 or more per pack in NYC or elsewhere, why shouldn't they give you a break if you buy a carton?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i've been buying cartons of marlboros for years in SD, mostly at the supermarket, but in las palmas de herrera there is a farm/vegetable market that sells cartons a little cheaper. the funny thing is, in true dominican fashion, that sometimes you open a new pack and 5 or 7 smokes are missing, those guys in the factory need a smoke break too..........

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
i've been buying cartons of marlboros for years in SD, mostly at the supermarket, but in las palmas de herrera there is a farm/vegetable market that sells cartons a little cheaper. the funny thing is, in true dominican fashion, that sometimes you open a new pack and 5 or 7 smokes are missing, those guys in the factory need a smoke break too..........

That's where the discount come from :laugh: .

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
One reason could be that the colmado only has only 1 or 2 crates of sodas or milk. He will get the unit price selling them one at the time. You?re right; they don?t know the benefits of bulk or maybe can?t afford them

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In my previous post, I was referring to stores like Supermercado Nacional, Pola, La Sirena, and other biggies.

I've found I can negotiate a discount faster in a colmado, where prices are higher than the big guys, but NEVER with the big guys, mainly because I can't get access to anyone that could authorize any sort of discount.

Pricesmart is the same way, buy 1 or a 1000, their price doesn't change.

OOOOOOO-K, Don't know the profit margin in milk but as far as cigarettes are concerned, I doesn't matter if I buy 1000$ or 1,000,000.00 worth of cigarettes, the Manufacturers/importers charge the same.