I am a little bit cross-if you don't like dogs then don't read this...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
My friend who bred puppies from her Rottweiler said to me the other day "all the pups went to 'gringo' families" apart from one which she has taken back as the Dominican family could not afford to feed him!! I told her that it was a long-term commitment if the dog went to her maid and family but she would not listen!

We acquired a GSD on Friday - totally neglected, thin, and just having been treated for screwworms (can be fatal if not treated).

Looks good eh?
643w3d.jpg

His previous owner took him to Dr. Bob's in Sosua to have him put down as he no longer wanted the dog............ this was a 'gringo' owner so how disgusting is that?

The other side of the tale:
2hxss35.jpg

This dog is bold and beautiful, gentle but also exhuberant but when we tried to throw a stick for him to chase today, he cowered, so has obviously been beaten by sticks in the past and this saddens me a lot................. the more people I meet, the more I love my animals!

Now Alfie, he will improve from this:
dyumf5.jpg

Just don't tell me that Dominicans don't care about their animals as they are more than welcoming when they are offered advice - unlike many gringos it seems!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tamborista

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hi Whirley

If it restores you faith a little, I have just given my little chappy a nice bath and treated him for little horribles and he is now happily chewing a nice marrow bone in the garden...he also has a nice cuppa in the morning!!

May 29, 2006
Instread of a stick try using a rolled up towel with tape around it. That's what they use for training sniffing dogs. And there's always tennis balls. Dogs also love new cotton mop heads. They will shake them like a rabbit...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Instread of a stick try using a rolled up towel with tape around it. That's what they use for training sniffing dogs. And there's always tennis balls. Dogs also love new cotton mop heads. They will shake them like a rabbit...

Will try all those things plus also a frisbee as he starts to settle down and realise he is loved and not abused...

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
GS - Borrow worms :(

I had a GS that suffered regularly from borrow worms. You have to keep a close eye on them as they are very susceptible to them. The flies are blueish color and they leave a whitish larvae. It also has a foul smell. Make sure you spray with Mata Guzano that not only kills the larvae but also helps close the wounds.

vlokje

May 13, 2004
I have 5 streetdogs and not one of them wants to run after a stick or a ball or anything .They just look at me as to say fetch it yourself....
Vlokje

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
:(

Oh jeezes Whirleybird, what a horoble sight. Who does that to an animal, its beyond my comprehension!

Defenitely in need for a good frisbee to chase but like you say, when he has settled down and you know I'd love to help.

Just recovering ourselves over the loss of our little chi Mini Mouse who had a bad epileptic attack and despite all help passed away yesterday evening. She never woke up so she didn't suffer...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi Whirley

If it restores you faith a little, I have just given my little chappy a nice bath and treated him for little horribles and he is now happily chewing a nice marrow bone in the garden...he also has a nice cuppa in the morning!!

LJ - Thank goodness there are, of course, many that give their animals love and treat them with the respect they deserve....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I had a GS that suffered regularly from borrow worms. You have to keep a close eye on them as they are very susceptible to them. The flies are blueish color and they leave a whitish larvae. It also has a foul smell. Make sure you spray with Mata Guzano that not only kills the larvae but also helps close the wounds.

Thanks for the advice, Drake. We have had Shepherds over many years so tend to know what to look out for with this breed. Although we use Mato Guzano for any animal wounds normally, we have been advised by the vet not to do so in this instance. Alfie has now been treated for the screw worms and the vet's instruction is to just keep the wound site clean wtih a daily flushing of fresh water.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Oh jeezes Whirleybird, what a horoble sight. Who does that to an animal, its beyond my comprehension!

Defenitely in need for a good frisbee to chase but like you say, when he has settled down and you know I'd love to help.

Just recovering ourselves over the loss of our little chi Mini Mouse who had a bad epileptic attack and despite all help passed away yesterday evening. She never woke up so she didn't suffer...

So sad about Mini Mouse...... :(

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I am getting more and more to prefer the company of animals, and people who care for them as members of the family. The GS is beautiful, makes me miss mine who is rehomed in Canada (on 20 acres)! She is a beautiful girl too!! How someone could ever harm an animal who only wants to be loved and cared for is beyond anything I can understand or deal with. It will be the one thing that no doubt will cause me grief one day as I am rather outspoken on this subject. Thanks once again WB for having the space and the will to provide love and a home for another of God's creatures..