Sosua Bar Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
I had my March annual vacation in Sosua, and did the usual bar trolling. Britiannia, Jolly Roger and Checkpoint still very popular with expats. Pedro McMurphy closed alot, and small crowds when open. Eddies sport bar closed, for sale I think. El Flow and new Rumba bar seem to have a 'noise war' going on, something is going to give there. Shark Bar also very quiet, empty most of the time. 4 roses and Dominoes have the usual P4P clientele, trade seems to be brisk. Lots of other local 'hole in the wall places', again with few customers.
Seems that some bar owners are doing very well, but others must be struggling to balance the books.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Pedro McMurphy closed alot, and small crowds when open.
Do you think that Pedro's suffers from the "We won't go there because it's never open" or "Because it's quiet we'll close early to save money" way of thinking? Personally I think it's got a really great position and should be busy all the time and raking it in - we always call for a drink when we are in town (when it's open that is!); although we gravitated towards the Checkpoint Bar last visit as we found T&A really nice!.
Just what does a bar have to have in Sosua (apart from the obvious!) to make a go and get a (good) name for themselves?
Over to you all!
Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Do you think that Pedro's suffers from the "We won't go there because it's never open" or "Because it's quiet we'll close early to save money" way of thinking? Personally I think it's got a really great position and should be busy all the time and raking it in - we always call for a drink when we are in town (when it's open that is!); although we gravitated towards the Checkpoint Bar last visit as we found T&A really nice!.
Just what does a bar have to have in Sosua (apart from the obvious!) to make a go and get a (good) name for themselves?
Over to you all!
Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Pedros suffers because of many reasons:

1. Not as well known as their Iconic neighbor Rocky's

2. Closed and open because.....??

3. Too many other options that are established.

For example if I want an American Burger I go to Maura Mai or Lous if I won the fantasy 5 this week.

Britannia has a couple of roasts worth enjoying each month.

To make a go of it's tough and no one is just raking in the money.

To stand out you have to follow Rocky's business model whereby you copy what some one else is doing and do it Better or create a demand yourself.

For example if you imported Florida Stone Crab and called it The Crab Shack I would stop in once a week and spend $100 U.S , however You might only have a few others that would do this.

The bottom line is that the majority of people that come here are more inclined to stay at all inclusives and the rest are looking for a bargain as in cheap eats with an occasional fine dining experience .

The expats pretty much determine the outcome I would think.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its on a very busy noisy dusty corner ... so not particularly attractive to me whatever is inside it

May 29, 2006
Not really clear from the site, but it looks like the place that was Italian for a while? Two places up from Rocky's toward PC?

May 29, 2006
So they have about 15 ft store frontage, no chairs on the street, and it's not on PC between DR Rosen and PJs. Gotcha.

Richie

Mar 30, 2005
Rockys is successful because it does something simple but well and has built an authentic identity for itself as a hub of (predominantly) English speaking ex-pat and tourist activity. Pedro Mcwatsit is a dud because it is styled on the basis of the kind of fake Irish bar that was all the rage around Europe a decade or more ago. The phoney blarney soon wore off such places and the world (well, Europe at least) moved on. The big surprise to me is that Pedros has lasted as long as it has.

Jan 22, 2010
Irish bar

The Irish Pub could be good but I went once and a guy around 40 was serving beers at reasonable prices all ok so far

But his smell was worse then Haitians that live on the street so they never saw me again there.

Put some good looking girls there and it will be packed

T.E.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Where is Pedro McMurphy's? Is it where Rocky's used to be, or did the market finally sell out?

You seem to be quite the little expert on things Dominican, but have not been there in what 5 years?

Pedro's has been on C. Dr. Rosen, next door to Harrison's since November 2007.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I have one question about this "Irish bar"
What the hell is Irish about Pedro McMurphy's other than half the name?
Do they sell draught Guinness? Kilkenny? Smithwicks?
Canned Guinness at silly prices now and then if you're lucky!
Not a smiling eye in sight!

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
Not a smiling eye in sight!

when irish eyes are smiling...it usually means they're up to something :)

Status
Not open for further replies.