Liquidation Pay

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
I have a Haiti guy that works for me. He is supposed to be security and clean around the property. He does nothing and when I show up he is never there. He has worked for me for 3 years and gets paid 5,000 pesos a month. How do I fire him? How much is it going to cost me?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have a Haiti guy that works for me. He is supposed to be security and clean around the property. He does nothing and when I show up he is never there. He has worked for me for 3 years and gets paid 5,000 pesos a month. How do I fire him? How much is it going to cost me?

You're joking right?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where are you located? If on the North Coast, there is a labor office in Puerto Plata.

To avoid payment of all but the things you have no choice about, such as days worked, but not yet paid, before discharge and a portion of Christmas and vacation pay for the months worked in 2010, you should try to fire him and avoid payment of severance. There is a procedure for firing somebody that requires I believe 3 notices in a month of violation of work requirements, with copies of these notices filed in the labor office.

You should find out exaactly what this procedure is, then decide if you want to try to fire him without paying him anything but the things mentioned above. Unless you fire him with cause, you will also have to pay him a sum based on time worked and salary and this is the Dominican version of unemployment benefits in that it is supposed to help the fired employee exist until he gets another job.

Check it out. You may be able to save some money by giving him another month and using the time to build a file to show that you are justified to file him for cause.

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
Of course for this you would need to be up to date with his scocial security (TSS) and you would have to have him registered at the labor board. If not, he will have cause againts you and you will have to pay even more. Further more you are paying him less then the minimum legal wage. If you claim cause after 3 years, that in it self, will be hard to prouve, even if you have 3 report in one month or over several months. You may want to part with him in a reasonable way, he was your securety and he knows all your ins and outs. Think about it, he maybe able to get is liquidation and more that way.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009

You really intend to mess with a Haitian security guard-gardener?

God bless you!

If you have friends in Bavaro ask them about three Russian women who fired a Haitian worker two months ago.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Domestic........

Why hasn't anyone asked if this employee is a personal residence employee.........I believe they are exempt from liquidation.......is this a business? Is he legal? All these questions will have a different answer as far as to what he is entitled to.....

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
register him legally, file grievances when he doesnt show up. 2 no call-no shown in 1 month = job abandonment you owe him nothing. (well, vacation and christmas, not much this time of year)

Being a Haitian, statistically speaking he will respond to the loss of a meal ticket with violence, (80% chance vs. Dominican with a 60% chance) so be prepared to defend yourself.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Paying a security guard $5 per day to protect your possessions sounds great.

But what if someone else paid him $6 per hour to steal from you what would you think?

Correct me if I am wrong but why not pay the guy????

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
Yesterday, I went to the office of trabajo. It is going to cost 21,000 pesos to get rid of him. He is a really nice guy, but recently has become lazy because he has a girlfriend and just bought a motor.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Is this why you closed your call center?

No, I didn't close it. I sold it in October. The new owner died suddenly of a heart attack a few weeks ago and his heirs decided to abandon the place, not close it after sacking the place of everything of value and leaving the employees penniless.

I believe its current status is not closed, but abandoned.