painting a house - costs

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I have been told by a Dominican friend that he can get a gallon of amarillo claro for the front of the house for 700 pesos a gallon. He will need about 6 gallons he says. Does that sound a good price or am I being taken??I rent a house in laCaleta and told him he can paint the front if he likes.. but now a Domincan here says it is too much, and he is taking advantage... any thoughts.. to me living here in the States 20 bucks a can for a gallon sounds about right... but over there??

May 29, 2006
6 gallons is a lot of paint. The rule of thumb for smooth surfaces is 400 sq ft per gallon per coat, but I don't know what your building size is or the material. Most people who know what they are doing with paint know this, so the guy is either inexperienced, thinking a couple coats, or not being honest. If he is scamming you for three gallons, that is 60 bucks so it would be a very nice day's pay for him.

It could be some other guy thought he needed 12 gallons and only needed 6 so your friend was able to buy the stuff off of him for 300 peso, who knows.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
700 for one gallon is a lot I think, but maybe it is the magic paint that doesnt need 27 coats

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i imagine his house isn't big enough to warrant 6 gallons... and especially "amarillo claro" isn't going to cost that much,

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I would go with jrhartley or only buy a couple of gallons and see how it goes, if you have someone here you can relay the information. Or wait til you come back.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Why dont you go yourself and buy the paint and pay this guy just for the labor?
A gallon of good exterior paint cost around 490.00 in Matices or Terminaciones (which are the most expensives places). I do not recommend to buy paint in small ferrreterias.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I have been told by a Dominican friend that he can get a gallon of amarillo claro for the front of the house for 700 pesos a gallon. He will need about 6 gallons he says. Does that sound a good price or am I being taken??I rent a house in laCaleta and told him he can paint the front if he likes.. but now a Domincan here says it is too much, and he is taking advantage... any thoughts.. to me living here in the States 20 bucks a can for a gallon sounds about right... but over there??

Six gallons for just the FRONT! Must be a very big house or he is taking you for a fool. Start hanging out on the north coast and drop that family out of your life.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
if your talking about the family you are helping, please amstellite, please stop!

and yes you are being taken for a fool.

May 29, 2006
Good paint will be at least as much as in the US since it is petrolium based. I knew a guy who made a quick $20,000 because he was anticipating the first Gulf war to increase the price of oil. He bought a container of paint in gallon cans and waited for the war to start. With the price increase, he was able to sell it a substantial profit. In general you get what you pay for in paint.