Government Extortion From Gringo Citizens?

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Right now I feel safe going to the D.R. since I am only a resident and I am not a citizen yet....

Once I become a citizen of the D.R. and have my passport I would feel less safe in the D.R. because a citizen is property of the gov. and the government of the D.R. has more leverage over the freedom of its citizens vs. what they exercise over their tourist residents.

Has anyone heard any stories about the police or the government taking advantage of citizen gringos in their country by accusing them of something and then letting them off the hook after they have PAID OFF the authorities?

Please do not tell me not to become a citizen so I do not worry. I am not looking for such a disrespectful and worthless answer. Let us have some good and insightful discussion about this and give me what you know from experience.

Thanks to all the members of this forum, Bob :glasses:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Right now I feel safe going to the D.R. since I am only a resident and I am not a citizen yet....

Once I become a citizen of the D.R. and have my passport I would feel less safe in the D.R. because a citizen is property of the gov. and the government of the D.R. has more leverage over the freedom of its citizens vs. what they exercise over their tourist residents.

Has anyone heard any stories about the police or the government taking advantage of citizen gringos in their country by accusing them of something and then letting them off the hook after they have PAID OFF the authorities?

Please do not tell me not to become a citizen so I do not worry. I am not looking for such a disrespectful and worthless answer. Let us have some good and insightful discussion about this and give me what you know from experience.

Thanks to all the members of this forum, Bob :glasses:

If your so worried about it, why are you wanting to become a citizen? Assume that your retaining your original citizenship so you might have the opportunity to travel? Other than voting and not being able to travel most of the world without a visa what does citizenship buy you?

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Back in the 1990's in Puerto Plata the police stopped Gringos and planted drugs on them, then charged US$3-$10k to get out of jail. About that same time the DNI kidnapped some people I know and charged $10k a head to get out of jail (no charges, just simple kidnapping). This was a long time ago and during a power change as Balaguer was leaving office and Leonel entering, so many police/government officials were in full-on smash & grab mode. I think it's gotten much better. Also, citizenship had nothing to do with their being targeted, just the color of their money.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Back in the 1990's in Puerto Plata the police stopped Gringos and planted drugs on them, then charged US$3-$10k to get out of jail.

I remember that. Interesting that $10,000 is still the going rate, mas o menos, but now for dropping charges. And interesting that the the 'handshake plants' 18 months or so ago in Sosua were of tourists, not expats. Maybe many expats have got smarter so the target market changes? I agree citizenship makes no difference; 'wet behind the ears' makes a difference. Wet behind the ears will always be targets. And that still happens, judging from the plaintiff cries for help ;). But the targets back in the 1990's were selected; we never got targeted then, even though we didn't move here until 1992. There were reasons people were targetted then, just like there are now.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Bob,

As long as you do not renounce your U.S. citizenship you are still afforded a measure of protection. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The victims of official abuse tend to be poor, uneducated or caught with their hands dirty for the most part. There are exceptions but the rule of thumb is that if you spend money, keep your nose clean and your profile low you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Having a few reputable friends will also go a long way toward securing your safety.

Reactions: Black Dog