Need Nanny and Lawyer in Santiago

Willi

Mar 6, 2007
Hi,

I have multiple questions. I?m hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I currently live in Santiago and am the proud mother of a 5 month old baby girl. I am currently on maternity leave but will have to return to work as of July. I don?t know too many people in Santiago. How do i go about finding a reputable nanny (live out)? I prefer someone who is active with my child, can read and do activities with her. I also prefer someone who is a bit older without young kids and can work odd hours, sometimes evenings and weekends which is why a daycare is not suitable. Is there such a degree or program such as childcare or social work that maybe i can go to a school for reference? Also, what is the salary range i should be offering? Job does not include cleaning as i have a maid, just taking care of my baby. I am often out of the Country so someone with extreme qualifications and trust is required.

Part 2 - After all these years i decided to get my official residency so I also require a reference for an English speaking Lawyer in Santiago so i can start the residency process. The baby was born in Canada but her father is Dominican. Some people have said she can obtain a birth certificate here, this sounds crazy to me as she wasn't born here. Is this true or does she she need to go through the same residency process as i do?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give. Feel free to pm me with a response.

Regards, DW

PS thanks to all Dominicans for your very open advice on childrearing. I know my baby doesn't have socks on :)

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Well, send me a PM and I will give you a phone number for a couple of lawyers if you want along with some child rearing options when you go back to work.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Based on experiences of friends who managed to find relatively educated nannies, your best bet would be to try and get a student of early education who attends classes in the evenings and would be free to work for you during daytime working hours.

Use your friends and colleagues, and contact local schools and universities to ensure as much as possible that any person you consider is reliable.

The sock thing - I remember it well, especially when it came from a mother in the waiting room at the doctor's while her toddler was drinking coca cola.

Best of luck!