Cabarete-Sosua Trip

Just got back from a week in Cabarete and Sosua. We took a publico whenever we went to Sosua and had fun talking to the drivers. The Sosua beach was wonderful, I had the most fascination discussion with two vendors one from Haiti who dreams of being a Baptist Preacher and a lovely Russian lady. We spent two evenings on Pedro Clisante to meet friends of ours, had fun talking to the people.
We rented a car and just drove up the mountains, the scenery is magnificent. Then we decided to go towards Gaspar Hernandez and discovered the most beautiful place on earth at Playa Maganta, we had a wonderful lunch at Taverna Bavaria and just relaxed.
We walked on the beach one evening and dined at Blue. One night, we decided to go dancing and the security guard at the hotel warned me no to go out of the hotel. My husband looked at him and told me to follow him; there we were on a motoconcho. We had the most wonderful time at the Bambu Bar.
I?ve read so many bad things about Sosua, but I loved the place. The people are nice. Everybody thought I was Dominican and that was funny as I, sometimes, had trouble understanding certain words when spoken to. The people are great, nice, polite and helpful. I didn?t regret one bit staying at the hotel. In fact, the best way to discover is to go out and meet people and put some money into the local economy.
We?ve decided not to buy a condo, but go back and rent before deciding where to settle sorry I didn?t have the opportunity to meet some of the people on this forum, but next time for sure.
It is snowing here and I just have to close my eyes and remember the blue sky, the luxuriant vegetation, the smiles on people?s faces. The Dominican Republic definitely stole my heart and my mind.
We?re planning to go back before the fall.
Again, thanks to DR1 without stumbling on this forum I would not have a pre taste of this beautiful country.

siegs

May 9, 2006
Love to hear about great trips.
Sounds like you had one.
We'll look forward to your next trip report.
Nicely done.