xoom not working anymore with paypal

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Just tried to send money via paypal and xoom. It does not work anymore. I called xoom i they told my that they are sorry but they don't work with paypal anymore. Any thoughts or alternatives to send money to the Dominican via paypal?

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Here is the offical Xoom Statement

Why Xoom Ended The Use of PayPal as a Payment for Money Transfers
Since we made our announcement yesterday regarding our decision to discontinue the use of PayPal as a payment source, we’ve had lots of questions.

We understand that many of you prefer to pay for your money transfers using PayPal and have had excellent experiences. We are very sorry our decision will inconvenience you. However, we believe this is the best overall decision for us to make on behalf of all our customers. We’d like to take this opportunity to answer many of your questions.

The Xoom Core Business: Money Remittances for Friends and Family

At Xoom, our core business is money transfer for friends and family remittances. PayPal funded transactions are mostly for commercial payments which is not the core Xoom business. Since commercial payments are not our focus, we cannot effectively vet the merchants asking for payments through Xoom.

Why Did Xoom Do This?

First, our customers had too many bad experiences with unprofessional or, in some cases, fraudulent merchants. We’ve decided to stop supporting PayPal to protect the interests of these customers.

Second, if you want to buy commercial goods or services with PayPal, it is probably best to use a service that is directly supported by PayPal as PayPal is very effective at controlling merchant quality.

Third, PayPal funded transactions represent a small percentage of our overall business. Removing support for PayPal will help us focus on our core business even more than before. We expect this decision will keep us very focused on constantly improving the family remittance service.

Lastly, in order to take advantage of new PayPal processing features, Xoom would be required to integrate to a new PayPal platform. Given the size of our PayPal business and given that commercial business is not our focus; we have decided not to spend resources on a new integration as it would compromise our focus on the family remittance business.

Using Other Payment Sources for Your Xoom Money Transfer

Please remember, if you are sending money to friends or family with PayPal through Xoom, you can continue to use Xoom by linking your Xoom account to your United States bank account, or a credit or debit card.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've never used Xoom, but that statement sounds like a load of crap.

Sounds like they have an ebay problem, not aPayPal problem.t

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
In other words, Paypal dropped them because they were a crummy merchant. LOL The Spin Zone

yan

Jan 24, 2010
plus they just raised up te fees. For me its up 15$ and more you send more you pay. I was reading threads about money tranfer and i was wondering if dominican can create a pay pal account from their land cause my relative couldnt when i wanted to start sending money. (i think paypal wasent serving in RD) ????

Cause would be simple, just ask youre relative wich you want to send money to open a paypal acount, ask her/him to get that paypal credit or debit card and you can tranfer money.

I dont know, im looking myself for a quick solution

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
My Guess, its more like they were getting chargebacks from Paypal. People were buying merchandise, using paypal and then they were making claims if they didn't get it or were not happy with it. Paypal is the worst service on the net for sending money IMHO. High Exchange rates, 45 day guarantees (Credit card companies give up to 6 months) Exorbitant fees and a NOT OUR FAULT Policy. Paypal would have been TAKING the money back from Xoom if they got a claim. I for one hope that Paypal/Ebays monopoly soon fade.

I'd been using Envios Boya in sporadically to send funds to a bank account. Their service includes someone going to the your local bank in DR and depositing the funds. At the end they send you the deposit slip via e-mail, I'd being using them since 2006 with no major issues besides an extra day waiting for the deposit to be made in an occasion.

Env?o de Dinero a Rep?blica Dominicana

They also make your payments for utilities services, and they accept credit cards.

Last edited: