Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Bank account in Puerto Rico

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question US Bank account in Puerto Rico

I have a short question: Can i as a German national open a US Bank Account in Puerto Rico living in the Dominican Republic? A trip to visit a bank in Puerto Rico won't be a problem. Which Bank would be easiest?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

no chance! the US banking law is so tight ..... just forget it!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, only US Citizens and US Legal Residents [green card] can open a US checking or savings account.

AE

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Very very hard ( mucho dinero needed ) for the bank account...why don't you open a brokerage account with the checking account features ?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Small Correction

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    US Citizens and US Legal Residents [green card]
    Should say US Citizens and US legal residents (green card holders and visa holders)

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Sorry, only US Citizens and US Legal Residents [green card] can open a US checking or savings account.

AE

This is not true at all!

I have several European friends that opened US bank account with just their passport. What you cannot do is open the bank account over the phone like a US citizen/resident could. Even illegal Mexicans can open accounts, with just their Mexican ID, for example, in Bank of America.

Some banks may be stricter than others, so you should go to a "mass" bank like Bank of America or Wachovia or Suntrust. Citibank and JP Morgan may be more difficult (especially Citibank).

Some banks may require to apply for ITIN - Individual Taxpayer Identification Number with the IRS before they open you the account.

All in all, it's not at all that difficult.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not true

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    This is not true at all!

I have several European friends that opened US bank account with just their passport. What you cannot do is open the bank account over the phone like a US citizen/resident could. Even illegal Mexicans can open accounts, with just their Mexican ID, for example, in Bank of America.

Some banks may be stricter than others, so you should go to a "mass" bank like Bank of America or Wachovia or Suntrust. Citibank and JP Morgan may be more difficult (especially Citibank).

Some banks may require to apply for ITIN - Individual Taxpayer Identification Number with the IRS before they open you the account.

All in all, it's not at all that difficult.
    People used to open a bank account with a just a passport before, but new anti-terror & money laundering laws were enacted due to September 11th and it is no longer possible.

In New York City, banks will check your immigration status (I can attest to it).

Sadly, I know quite a few people in NYC who have been unsuccessful at opening a bank account because of their immigration status.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just called Chase Bank, they told me no Problem, just 2 identifications passport and driverls licencse and they open the account right away with a minimum deposit of 100 US$. Will be flying to Miami next week to open it. thanks for your responses

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

This will explain everything.

Section 326 of the U.S. Patriot act:

http://www.earlywarning.com/pdf/USA_...Final_Rule.pdf

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you aren't thinking of opening it for the interest rate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast