How are small scale Beverages imported, marketed and distributed in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunAndBuns

Mar 18, 2007
Say one wants to start an import beverage business in the DR, what moves does one have to make?
Let's say for hypotheticals sake the investment power ranges in 20,000-30,000 dollars. Can one start locally in say Sosua marketed specifically at turistas in the North Coast with a limited marketing front for a hot themed beer/liquor business?
I know that Brahma and Presidente as well as Bohemia are the 3 most popular beers to get in bars and restaurants...but there is always room for more, especially a more locally themed beer.
Lets say for example that I am German and I know a local microbrewrly in Germany that produces amazing beer. How do I go about the shipping logistical process of importation, customs clearance, and distribution?
Any good headers or directions somebody with experience can put me in to make that first small step?

Reactions: Tamborista

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I think the barrier to entry will be quite high. Many industries are a monopoly here. I am sure alcohol is one of them. My own experience is with rebar where one family controls most of the market. You can bring it in legally, but it will never get out of customs if you know what I mean.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Beer from Weihenstephan, World's Oldest Brewery

Lets say for example that I am German and I know a local microbrewrly in Germany that produces amazing beer.

Beer from small German "country breweries" can be very good beer, indeed.
Such beer, however, needs to be consumed within a fortnight.
It would not survive an overseas transport, customs delay and local distribution methods. :tired:
Nevertheless, good German export beer (13 varieties) is being imported by someone I know.

donP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Welcome back S&B.

Did that nasty crotch rash ever clear up?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Any good headers or directions somebody with experience can put me in to make that first small step?

Welcome back Buns!

There is certainly some demand for Guiness Stout and Bass Ale amongst thirsty expats.

Good luck,

t'

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
if you want to be an entrepreneur (which is great!) why not look for something you know more than others?

eg you've written in previous posts that you are deaf. therefore you must know a lot about devices for solving problems for deaf people in the USA.. you could start a business for that in the DR..

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
if you want to be an entrepreneur (which is great!) why not look for something you know more than others?

eg you've written in previous posts that you are deaf. therefore you must know a lot about devices for solving problems for deaf people in the USA.. you could start a business for that in the DR..

Adrian, with all due respect this guy is not a budding entrepreneur.

He is a guy with very limited resources who is looking for someone to give him business advice so he can hatch a hair-brained scheme to attempt a move to Sosua for the sole purpose of sleeping with whores all day and night.

First it was a chicken farm, now it's importing beer.

CLOSED.

Reactions: Rattus_Rattus
Status
Not open for further replies.