Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: student

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default student

    hi1I will go to move to DR on april 29 for studies and I didnt buy a return or a connecting flight ticket.At immigration I will tell them that I am in DR for studies(I will get a transfer from my uni to a uni in santo domingo) but I dont have any proof of that because i didnt do a registration yet of course.The transfer is between the 2 unis so i dont have a document proving anything anyway,Do you think I will have a problem at immigration office?

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    hi1I will go to move to DR on april 29 for studies and I didnt buy a return or a connecting flight ticket.At immigration I will tell them that I am in DR for studies(I will get a transfer from my uni to a uni in santo domingo) but I dont have any proof of that because i didnt do a registration yet of course.The transfer is between the 2 unis so i dont have a document proving anything anyway,Do you think I will have a problem at immigration office?

    Sounds like you forgot to do some leg work! Sure hope you did your dotting of the i's and crossing of the t's with all the paperwork.

    Trust me a gringo can't just appear one day and study here, well not in the reputable places at least. You need forms, signatures, translations, passports, photocopies, photos, stamps and special waxes...

    If you haven't done this be prepared to buy a ticket home, in fact be prepared to buy a lot of them.

    Also,
    Why tell them anything?

    Just check the box "visiting" and tell them you are visiting...

    Be prepared to pay some bucks getting out though if you over stay 2 weeks (think thats the tourist limit 'till you have to pay) but that will stem from your lack of planning and since your coming here so soon you're out of time.

    Basically this, you start getting into problems when the authorities start noticing you thus K.I.S.S

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,089
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like the previous poster said, nobody gives a hoot why you come here.

    If you think you are going to waltz into a reputable university and take classes, you have another think coming. Unless there are programs I have never heard of, this sounds fishy, excuse me.

    From what school are you coming and to which of the dozen or so universities here are you going to ???

    Perhaps we can avoid some uneasiness or unpleasantness.

    Cordially,

    HB

    (See folks, I am not always the curmudgeon!!)

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi!thx for the replies.I went to the site of uasd and they ask for highschool records,passport,highschool diploma,birth certificate (allof that legalized and translated) and some other minor things like photos and applicarion forms that i will do there.I have all that already so i am prepared i believe.They also need my curicula(classes i have passed so far) but that is between the two unis because it says they need it sent to them directly and one copy to syyscet.So all i could do I did already.What do you think about that?and its ok then to just say i'm visiting huh?howmuch is the fee for overstaying and can authorities send me back if i pay my fee?I heard a students visa takes like 1 month or 2 to be ready.

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    Hi!thx for the replies.I went to the site of uasd and they ask for highschool records,passport,highschool diploma,birth certificate (allof that legalized and translated) and some other minor things like photos and applicarion forms that i will do there.I have all that already so i am prepared i believe.They also need my curicula(classes i have passed so far) but that is between the two unis because it says they need it sent to them directly and one copy to syyscet.So all i could do I did already.What do you think about that?and its ok then to just say i'm visiting huh?howmuch is the fee for overstaying and can authorities send me back if i pay my fee?I heard a students visa takes like 1 month or 2 to be ready.
    I think you should remember to bring a big bottle of Tylenol extra strength because you're in for a big headache (also a couple of spaces or tabs in your text wouldn't hurt because it hurts my head too).

    Forms need to be translated by an approved translator and stamped and notarized. Then sent to the dominican embassy in your country. Past grades need to be translated and not just highschool. I was even asked for my 6-8th grade notes.


    Then you need to take those notes go the court house, get a few more special stamps then you need to send your notes to Sec. of Edu and get a special stamp and wax.

    That is just part of the shuffle. I think you said you got somethings translated, that's a good start. Really, really hope you did all this before or else as I said before, be prepared to buy a return ticket home.


    About the authorities, yes just say you are visitng and yes if you pay your dinero they will let you out. It won't be 'too much' depends on how much you over stay. 5 years and up i think is about 19,000 pesos?


    Not that it's any of my concern but why does it seem like everyone is going the UASD lately? What exactly is so attractive about frequent, violent strikes and no-show teachers? It couldn't possibly be that cheap to make it justifiable in anyway.

    Just please don't say that it's because PUCMM is surrounded by little fat men with shotguns or else I think you'll quickly find a very irate hillbilly in this thread.

    Also try the search function. Someone just posted about getting into the UASD
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-st...ut-school.html maybe you can avoid making the same mistake

    p.s. Does your Uni understand that the mail service here is very unreliable? You should make that point so that they give you the transcripts and you can turn it in by hand. Just make sure it is sealed by wax/tape/whatever.

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    look this is exactly what i did: 1)i got all my documents in greek 2)i legalized them in greek so i can ...3)Translate them at the ministry of outer relationships in greece and legalized again and last 4)I legalized everything at the DR embassy in greece( they ripped me off! 75 bucks a document).I am sure that I did everything according to what they said in their website and I also asked a friend of mine to go in person and ask.They only need highschool grades btw( idk why they asked u for more).The ambassador in DR embassy in greece told me everything is fine too and my documents can't be more legalized lol!All I need now is like I said the 2 transcripts which i am not allowed to hold in my hands.So what exactly do you mean when u say i have to take my documents to court?u mean DR court maybe?

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The DR is full of people from other countries who don't have a visa. As long as the university isn't requiring this you shouldn't have a problem.

    It sounds like you've got the other stuff in order.

    I have a friend here in Santiago who works as a student liason for a univ here in Santiago and she maybe able to answer a couple of question for you. Send her an email and tell her Chip sent you.

    Lynne Guitar [[email protected]]

  8. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is a chance that the airline staff, upon check-in at the airport, will ask for a return ticket (if you don't have a residency permit). They have forced me to buy a return ticket, when my residency was expired or I have forgotten my residency card.

  9. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    look this is exactly what i did: 1)i got all my documents in greek 2)i legalized them in greek so i can ...3)Translate them at the ministry of outer relationships in greece and legalized again and last 4)I legalized everything at the DR embassy in greece( they ripped me off! 75 bucks a document).I am sure that I did everything according to what they said in their website and I also asked a friend of mine to go in person and ask.They only need highschool grades btw( idk why they asked u for more).The ambassador in DR embassy in greece told me everything is fine too and my documents can't be more legalized lol!All I need now is like I said the 2 transcripts which i am not allowed to hold in my hands.So what exactly do you mean when u say i have to take my documents to court?u mean DR court maybe?
    I recommend you to get your student visa and all your documents in order before flying to DR, and try to contact the enrolling department of USD as this is a public school, maybe they don't have room for another student.
    If you are a gringo coming from Greece going to PUCMM with Dollars in your bag then you can take the chance..

    JJ

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yo conchman what did you tell them when they asked you what you r doing in DR?And who made you buy?Immigration office?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •