Tadpoles grrrr!!!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Does any body knows how I can get rid of tadpoles in my jacuzzi and a way to prevent them ever to come back?

Its not nice to have to clean every day your jacuzzi and find hundreds of them floating and swimming around having the day of their life.

Its my Jacuzzi which I do like to share with friends but not with tadpoles!

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I had the same problem. I tried different chemicals and they didn't work.

I did find a solution, but you need to be very patient and stealthy.;)

Wait for "mama frog" to poke her head out of her hiding spot. In my case she was living in the rocks of my waterfall.

Once I got rid of her, I never had another tadpole problem.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I had the same problem. I tried different chemicals and they didn't work.

I did find a solution, but you need to be very patient and stealthy.;)

Wait for "mama frog" to poke her head out of her hiding spot. In my case she was living in the rocks of my waterfall.

Once I got rid of her, I never had another tadpole problem.

I don't like to use too much chemicals in the water since the dogs are drinking from it too and too much chlorine is not healthy for them.
Ok, we have a waterfall and I will go into stealthmode as of this evening to see if mama will show her face :pirate:

Tadpoles or toadpoles, be aware...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Does any body knows how I can get rid of tadpoles in my jacuzzi and a way to prevent them ever to come back?

Its not nice to have to clean every day your jacuzzi and find hundreds of them floating and swimming around having the day of their life.

Its my Jacuzzi which I do like to share with friends but not with tadpoles

I don't like to use too much chemicals in the water since the dogs are drinking from it too and too much chlorine is not healthy for them.!

Do the friends know that they are sharing with the dogs?

May 29, 2006
Drain the hot tub by about 8". The next time the frog or toad comes to lay eggs, it won't be able to get out. Then you can take appropriate action.

May 29, 2006
Drain?? You know, there is around 40.000 L water in that Jacuzzi :ermm:

That would be a Jacuzzi 2m x 5m x 4m. That is a mighty big Jacuzzi!

I've drained a whole swimming pool just using a garden hose as a siphon. Takes some time, but you just have to check it ever couple hours.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
make a cover with mosquito netting and elastic- errr are talking about a seperate jacuzzi or one combined with a pool or get some koi carp or pirranah

Last edited:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The chlorine should get rid of the tadpoles and won't actually harm the dogs but, if those babies are the offspring of the 'cane toad', be very careful as they are highly poisonous to our doggie friends.

Reactions: Bronxboy

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I was thinking of holding a frog legs dinner for DR1... you know, all you can eat if you catch it... but knowing you guys you would prob just drink my beer and wine and go for a burrito afterwards....:bunny:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
A sequel to "The Famous Frogs: rise of the elastic frog"

After yet another midnight hour concert of frog's latest hits, I decided to lay in wait... and yes... I saw one and flattened it to very satisfying wafer-thin proportions with my shoe... and then it blew it self up again and jumped happily into my jacuzzi...

How can I win the fight against my superhero frogs !!!!! :tired:

Therefore my plea to DR1 to have somebody lend me his sniper rifle so I can lay in wait and shoot the motherf*...!!! Against the wishes of mi esposa who can already imagine the damage of the bullets....

BUT I WILL NOT SHARE MY JACUZZI WITH SOME HORNY AMPHIBIANS!!!

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I am impressed that you spotted the culprit so quickly. For me it took much longer.

There were many nights that I croaked ?rib-it rib-it? sounds next to my waterfall, like a mental patient, to get the little SOB to show itself.

I did a ?catch and release? (far from home), but if you wish to terminate the little bugger, I suggest you bludgeon it.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
BUT I WILL NOT SHARE MY JACUZZI WITH SOME HORNY AMPHIBIANS!!!

I had to laugh when I read this. In an earlier life I taught Biology for many years and the fact is that frogs don't get horny. They reproduce via external fertilization - which explains why all the tadpoles.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Cover the jacuzzi and get the dogs a cheap plastic wading pool. Also if humans use it use some bromine. Frogs are the least of your worries considering the bazillion of other criutters that breed in it that are not human friendly. At least you can see the tadpoles.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would suggest a cat as a frog control garden feature but i truly doubt he could reach compability with your dogs :)
btw, our rottie is a great toad alarm, she will never get close enough to bite but she follows it and barks thus giving away the exact location of a boor bugger. and then all i have to do is catch and release the slimy creature.