bringing used electronics into the DR

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Does anyone know the rules on bringing in used electronics to the DR? I have a Panasonic 5 CD changer unit and some old DVD players - and other smaller electronic itmes that I no longer use.. ( playstations, small color tv,toaster,stuff like that) and I was thinking about bringing them over in my luggage to give away to some folks over there... but I don;t want to pay a fortune in taxes and duties ... do they come into the country free of charge if used? thanks

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Uhmmm...

The total weight of all those things would cost a fortune!

I mean, do what you will and since you will:

make sure none of it looks new (i.e in the box) and make sure you make your point you are not going to be selling them (if asked) and make sure you don't declare it ( if you can).

I'll admit I am not totally up to date on importing things here but it is very easy to bring some of those things here with no questions asked as long as it is not in the box and not pay tax but you sound like you are bringing basically a household's worth of electronics and that seems unfeasible...

I mean the only thing you are not bringing is the kitchen sink!

If you could break it up a bit (among people or trips) it would be a lot easier.

Also, forget the toaster unless it runs on gas (propane).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
One by One

Tecynically you cannot import used electronics

Well, I buy new and used electronics (computer components, satellite receivers, digital cameras, etc.) a lot on ebay or from US companies.
They arrive (one by one) via CPS, are below the value of 200 US$ and I have never paid duty so far.

donP

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
who is CPS? a carrier like Fedex or UPS? I may not bring all in -maybe that may set off alarms.. but a used compact old stereo with the usual CD chnager , tape deck etc ( it's a very small and light unit) and maybe the old playstation 1 so they can play DVDs... that shoudl not send up red flags right? YOu're right about the toaster- why would I want to bring tTHAT!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've brought all sorts of electronics to SD in our suitcases. No one has ever even opened our suitcases in over 20 years [in the old days it was a nightmare]. I think they target Dominicans more than tourists. IMHO if they fit into your suitcases and you don't overdo it with trying to bring everything at once, you should be OK.

AE

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is a notice posted in the Sosua EPS office about a change in procedure at customs office. Something to the effect that electrodomestic items arriving without an invoice will be confiscated.

This may or may not have some relation to the OPs question, but it does appear that there have been some changes in procedures.