Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Codetel shutting down VOIP

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Codetel shutting down VOIP

Apparently Codetel has shut down VOIP use in selected areas of Santiago for some time now. I assume this is only inevitable once the cretins over there could figure out how to strangle the market any more than they have already done.

Does anybody else know of this happening in other parts of the country?

Also, what other options are there to have a VOIP phone if/when Codetel does this nationwide?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

skype.....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Voip Use

I am located in Santiago and my Irish Voip service is working fine. I am located near the Homs hospital.

Just advising you that it's working here.

John

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drgringo View Post
    skype.....
    I understand Skype still needs an internet provider, correct? If you use Codetel and they shut down all VOIP use, whether it be Vonage, Magic Jack or Skype then what do you do?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jinty05 View Post
    I am located in Santiago and my Irish Voip service is working fine. I am located near the Homs hospital.

Just advising you that it's working here.

John
    Thanks. I have a friend who has a business in La Trinitaria area and supposedly they shut down the VOIP use some time back.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

this sounds odd and it hasn't affected me.

if they really do start blocking VOIP, there should be ways to encrypt it. but i suspect your friend is incorrect.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    this sounds odd and it hasn't affected me.

if they really do start blocking VOIP, there should be ways to encrypt it. but i suspect your friend is incorrect.
    I would be happy if my friend was incorrect, but he is a very smart and successful businessman here in Santiago so I doubt it. Apparently, the Vonage phone they had only got a busy signal when they used it and they called Codetel and they were told they had eliminated VOIP service.

At any rate, for the sake of this thread I would like to assume that Codetel has figured out a way to do this and that they will implement it nationwide. What alternatives will we have? You talk about encryption, is that something I can do?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    It has not happened on the North Coast for MagicJack on Codetel. I also called someone on their Vonage number I believe (also on the North Coast) and that worked from my MagicJack.
    To reiterate, I said in my orignal post that Codetel had shut down selected areas. I still have it.

The problem is what to do when they decide to shut it all down. I would like to have a solution before then as this will literally put me out of business.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know in what area of Santiago its down so I can start working on a workaround if its true.

I suspect that there may be a misunderstanding because I have been told by Codetel that they do not "support" VOIP. - not that you couldn't use it, you're just on your own trying to figure out how to get it working and they wont respond to complaints about it not working properly.

To make it a little more difficult, I can confirm that at least on some accounts they have disabled the ability to ping or traceroute or in any way troubleshoot latency issues that might affect VOIP.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

chip, since you've helped me out, here's a solution for you:

WiTopia: Providers of personal VPN services for online privacy, data security, and unblocking Facebook, Twitter, and Skype where censored.

you encrypt your entire internet to the US for $100/yr and put vonage inside that. codetel will not be able to detect it. there will always be VPNs that codetel cannot detect.

codetel also has a calling plan for RD$100/month which gets pretty cheap calls to the USA, maybe $0.03/min or something. you could have a USA voicemail and just call people back.

but i doubt this block is happening and i wouldn't worry about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast