tethering a blackberry as a modem on Claro

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Has anyone here setup their blackberry as a modem with Claro? I know it works, but don't have the various Claro-specific settings needed to set up the connection in Windows Vista.

I appreciate the help if anyone has the info.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Has anyone here setup their blackberry as a modem with Claro? I know it works, but don't have the various Claro-specific settings needed to set up the connection in Windows Vista.

I appreciate the help if anyone has the info.

Send a PM or email to "Pib" I know she has done this.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Why not post the solution here in public as for sure more people are interested in this.

thx!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Actually, it is quite simple... you need a program called blackberry desktopmanager, which comes on a cd with the blackberry, or which you can download from the blackberry site...

You also need an unlimited claro blackberry data plan, which will cost you 1200 something pesos per month, including impuestos...

First install the desktopmanager, and then connect your blackberry to the comp... in the desktopmanager you will see the last icon as "setting up your blackberry as an ip-modem".

start this up, you will be asked to give your blackberry a specific name of your choice, and you will be connected... it took me about 1 minute after installing the program

hope this helps

E

engineerfg

what sort of speeds are you guys getting with your blackberry? is it comprable to a USB 3G package?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I get at the moment 115 kb/sec with the blackberry as modem and about 1,5 MB/sec with the blackberry on its own.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
As with all the data plans on Claro, there is a point where it will push your speed down very low, unlike an actual broadband plan.

I suppose if you're just doing email, and a little browsing it shouldn't matter, but if you're planning to use it for heavier work then beware, as you could have one week great, and then have to wait for the next month for the speed to come back again.

Quote:-

Los planes con servicio de Banda Ancha de Datos para navegaci?n por Internet permitir?n el uso de la velocidad m?xima de navegaci?n seg?n los recursos disponibles de nuestra red, y hasta 3GB de consumo al usar el servicio con tarjeta inal?mbrica, y 500MB al usarlo a trav?s del celular, por cada per?odo de facturaci?n mensual. Superado el consumo establecido antes de finalizar el per?odo, la velocidad ser? hasta 128 Kbps por el tiempo restante de ese per?odo. Al iniciar el siguiente per?odo de facturaci?n se tendr? nuevamente acceso a la m?xima velocidad de navegaci?n que los recursos disponibles de nuestra red permitan.

Basically, you got 500MB before they cut you down to 128k. Its 6x more on a banda ancha card.

Obviously its designed to stop exactly what you're trying to do. Use a mobile data plan for a computer.

Just FYI

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Obviously its designed to stop exactly what you're trying to do. Use a mobile data plan for a computer.

Just FYI
I understand why people are desperate to try anything.

We live in a flat, connected world. Folks not connected get really frustrated.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I'm trying to use it as a back up when my regular internet is down. I don't expect it to be extremely fast, just want to be able to do the basics, without having to rely on the blackberry screen and keyboard for long emails. I downloaded the latest version (5.01) of Desktop manager and it does have the option to setup the modem on the main menu, as belgiank suggested...previous versions did not. However, when I try to save the settings I get an error message stating there was a problem saving the settings...still doesn't work for me :(

I'll go to the Claro office and see if someone there can help me... :bunny:

Debs Stewart

Feb 14, 2012
Blackberry Claro modem for apple mac

Does anyone know how to set up the Blackberry Curve as a modem with an Apple Mac?