baby milk

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
hi
as im going soon in bavaro with my 6 month old baby,im wondering if i should take sufficiant baby milk with me(im going for one month)or if anyone can advice me on baby milk sold over there. im going with thomas cook and luggage allowance is only 20kg so not easy to bring everything with me
she's gonna be 8 month by then and she's not a fussy baby
any other advice about baby product there will be welcomed.
thanks

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Dalila,

Which brand are you currently using?

Someone might be able to confirm its availability...

Sep 22, 2009
Milk should not be changed, unless unusal circumstances exist such as allergy or other sickness.

Most major US brands in powder form can be found in most colmados and grocery stores.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As El Rey says, the US brands are available in supermarkets, chemists and colmados here, even in the B?varo area.

I switched from a UK to a US brand of baby milk when I came back to the DR when my son was ~4 months old without any adverse effects. Remember to use Orbis water for preparing baby milk.

You should be OK for most other baby products like nappies/diapers, cereals and baby foods - although many baby foods sold here have sugar added so you might want to bring some of your own and/or prepare it yourself.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have not seen SMA products here but there is a large variety of powder and liquid baby foods available in supermarkets, colmados and pharmacies: nan, lipil, similac, isomil to name just a few. you can also get ones that are lactose free, soya based and whatnot.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hi Dalila !

The first time I went to DR, my daughter was 10 months old and I brought all the milk I needed-just because I knew that US brands are usually more expensive overseas.

Not sure how much you baby drink, but I don t think you will need more than 2 cans. The can weights 1 kg each, so that would live you with 18 kg :) (or 19 if you take 1 can in the carry-on)

By the way, I did the same with diapers and I am glad I did because when I ran out, it was a lot more expensive than in the US. At least, the diapers don't weight too much but they do take up space.

Your luggage allowance is very low though.

PM me if you want more info/advice I travelled twice to DR with a baby and a toddler :cheeky:

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
thanks ladies
africaida i will send you a PM for sure.
chimiroya what do you mean by orbis water?is it a water for infants?
i will bring for sure some tablets for sterilise the waters and for the nappies,never mind the price i will buy it there,i know they selling pampers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
orbis water is also sold in supermarkets/colmado/pharmacies. it is a special demineralized and sterilized water (with or without addition of fluor) that is commonly used here for making baby food. look for one gallon blue bottles - this is it.
a can of baby food, depending on the brand is somewhere around 400-500 pesos for about 400 grams.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I know you are strapped for luggage but we brought a small kettle to boil water for washing/sterilizing bottles, baby baths and making formula.

Reactions: Bronxboy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
thanks ladies
africaida i will send you a PM for sure.
chimiroya what do you mean by orbis water?is it a water for infants?
i will bring for sure some tablets for sterilise the waters and for the nappies,never mind the price i will buy it there,i know they selling pampers.

Aqua Orbis is the purest bottled water and a must for mixing formula. It's a turquoise blue gallon bottle, look for it on the bottom shelf in the supermarket, usually just under the powdered formula.

AE