SPEED TEST - Post your Results - Internet Provider

E

engineerfg

I'm still shopping around for the best and most reliable internet provider in my area. I thought it would be interesting to prod other people to post their connectivity results.

You can run a test to see how your provider is doing by visiting:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
HTML:
http://speedtest.net/

Afterwards, post your results, provider, ISP, etc, in this thread.

Here's me:

----------------------
DOWNLOAD: 0.27

UPLOAD: 0.21

PING: 23 ms

PROVIDER: Hotel Jaragua

----------------------

This informal poll can compare different providers, in different part of the country and help people making purchasing decisions...

Reactions: mike l

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I'm still shopping around for the best and most reliable internet provider in my area. I thought it would be interesting to prod other people to post their connectivity results.

You can run a test to see how your provider is doing by visiting:

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
HTML:
http://speedtest.net/

Afterwards, post your results, provider, ISP, etc, in this thread.

Here's me:

----------------------
DOWNLOAD: 0.27

UPLOAD: 0.21

PING: 23 ms

PROVIDER: Hotel Jaragua

----------------------

This informal poll can compare different providers, in different part of the country and help people making purchasing decisions...

I have a few to list..
here in SD using Claro
download is .82 mbps

I have a program called hide my ass,where I can pick servers all over world,here are a couple from US that I use.

Georgia,
1.76 mbps

Houston texas

E

engineerfg

Thanks for your post. those hide my ass posts should all be Claro where you are. those are just proxy servers that you are routing through, but your backhaul connection is still claro. Thanks for posting!

I'm really interested in seeing what people with wireless 3g cards are getting around the country!

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
FWIW, this is what I get from Carlos Slim's competition here in MX - put the coals to his feet about his service in the DR. Here in MX, I pay the equivalent of about RD$1700 a month for the cable internet and TV package. For another RD$600 a month, I could double these speeds.

Does anyone in Santo Domingo have service from Aster? Curious to see what they would do on their cable internet.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for your post. those hide my ass posts should all be Claro where you are. those are just proxy servers that you are routing through, but your backhaul connection is still claro. Thanks for posting!

I'm really interested in seeing what people with wireless 3g cards are getting around the country!

what I have with hidemyass is not a proxy,I pay for a VPV monthly,and speeds vary with location...I need it to watch and download movies,comedy central,etc from US.
bob

E

engineerfg

what I have with hidemyass is not a proxy,I pay for a VPV monthly,and speeds vary with location...I need it to watch and download movies,comedy central,etc from US.
bob

I'm not sure what a VPV is? Maybe you mean a VPN for tunneling to appear to be originating from a different location. Same fundamentals as a proxy. But that's neither here nor there, because your physical provider of internet is still here in Santo Domingo.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I'm not sure what a VPV is? Maybe you mean a VPN for tunneling to appear to be originating from a different location. Same fundamentals as a proxy. But that's neither here nor there, because your physical provider of internet is still here in Santo Domingo.

do not know the technicallities,but I am happy to get twice or 3 times the download speed as I pay for...
bob

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm on a 1.5MB Codetel DSL at home. For some reason the 1.5MB DSL at out office performs better than the one I have at home. Could be the pretty good CISCO router I have at the office?

Speed tests from home:

With HideMyAss

Without HideMyAss.

I also use HideMyAss for streaming and getting around the USA IP blocks, works really well.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
FWIW, this is what I get from Carlos Slim's competition here in MX - put the coals to his feet about his service in the DR. Here in MX, I pay the equivalent of about RD$1700 a month for the cable internet and TV package. For another RD$600 a month, I could double these speeds.

Does anyone in Santo Domingo have service from Aster? Curious to see what they would do on their cable internet.

Aster is horrendous, at least it was when I tried it.
I have tried them all (Tricom, OneMax, Viva etc), and only Codetel have provided decent speeds and reliability.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm on a 1.5MB Codetel DSL at home. For some reason the 1.5MB DSL at out office performs better than the one I have at home. Could be the pretty good CISCO router I have at the office?

Speed tests from home:

With HideMyAss

Without HideMyAss.

I also use HideMyAss for streaming and getting around the USA IP blocks, works really well.
:confused:

You only get 100-130k upload?

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I find these test crazy for example
1 test Speedtest.net
Santo Domingo .81 download and .03 upload
San Juan 1.49 download and .08 upload
second test San Juan 4.18 download and .20 upload
other test bandwidthplace.com
1.461 kbps download and 155kbps upload
I'm use starband satellite internet

miozio

May 23, 2009
767575634.png

I pay $99 per month which is $RD3650 Comcast. The streaming videos do not work well, webcam calls on Skype stall. Very expensive and bad quality

E

engineerfg

keep them coming

keep posting your results folks. So far I'm very disappointed with my high speed internet options on this island. does anyone have kick ass results?

:ermm: