Sosua/North Coast Economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
How was the high season this year? How was it compared to last year?

I was last down in December and there were more people than in September, as would be expected, but that does not say much since things were as slow in September as they were in May.

I have never been down during Christmas or the winter months so I do not know what Sosua is like in "high" season.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It is funny to see that no one has answer your question yet. Where are these so called Gold Members. I think they are just full of hot air and only answer questions that have to do with prostitudes.

My question is who is giving you points for these outlandish posts?

:ermm::ermm:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is in fact a bad high season. Most of the tourists are budget conscious - just not spending a lot of money. we are now headed into Semana Santa weekend and the hotels are full of locals. They also do not spend a lot of money outside the all inclusive hotels.

the low season will be bad as well we expect - even worse then normal.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
It is in fact a bad high season. Most of the tourists are budget conscious - just not spending a lot of money. we are now headed into Semana Santa weekend and the hotels are full of locals. They also do not spend a lot of money outside the all inclusive hotels.

the low season will be bad as well we expect - even worse then normal.

Just out of interest, how would one know that the resorts are 'full' of locals?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Just from my observations, I thought the season did pick up a bit after christmas and I saw more family group tourists about. I think DMV is correct that many of these tourists have paid for AI holidays and with the current global problems they have not been spending much outside of the hotels. I speak with a number of the shop owners and they tell me this is so.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Errm - Isn't December classed as winter?

Regards
Reidy

Weather aside, Winter offically begins in December on the Winter Solstice. Last year on December 21st.

So yes, in a way you can class December as a winter month but many people refer to end of December as the Holiday Season.

I was just curious to see how business was this year because I typically vacation in what might be called the off-season. When I left on December 19th, still officially Fall to those who follow such things, the town & beach were not that busy but people were hoping for better a high-season than in 2008.

Last edited:

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
I was mainly curious about businesses other than the usual suspects of El Flow and Classico's BTW.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Weather aside, Winter offically begins in December on the Winter Solstice. Last year on December 21st.

So yes, in a way you can class December as a winter month but many people refer to end of December as the Holiday Season.

I was just curious to see how business was this year because I typically vacation in what might be called the off-season. When I left on December 19th, still officially Fall to those who follow such things, the town & beach were not that busy but people were hoping for better a high-season than in 2008.

Nice 1, cheers for setting me straight - We'll be back in May & will post how busy/quiet we feel things are. Not sure how the renovations at the Casa Marina are going to affect trade; depends how many venture out from the AI.
Regards
Reidy

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Waterfront restaurant is closed or empty practically all the time. Never happened before for many years. Anyone try to have breakfast there any longer.

Avalon doubled prices and added 16% and 10% - and all regular customers are gone for good including my family and my friends.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
waterfront is more of an evening dining place - not really the place for cornflakes and a yoghurt

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I think the tourist are still coming, but they are not throwing money around like they used to do. I know many guys who still come to Sosua 3, 4, 5, times a year still. But they are more stingy with their pesos. They stay at cheaper hotels, they buy more beer at the supermarkets, and they dont splurge on many high priced meals.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
a lot of my friends are settling down and having a girlfriend now rather than the "let's see how many i can score" mode as in the past. i'll be there in a few weeks May 12-18 so i will see firsthand.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
waterfront is more of an evening dining place - not really the place for cornflakes and a yoghurt

really?

for many years used to be my favorite place for a nice breakfast in the morning.

but you know better i assume.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think Water Front stopped their breakfast service about 1 or 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.