Transporting goods from the U.K to the Dominican Republic

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Has anyone shipped boxes of personal goods from the U.K to the Dominican Republic recently? Does anyone know rates, methods or maybe a shipping company that may be of good service? (Approximately 40 boxes weighing on average 10kg each).
I am a non-resident so the "first container is free when you're a resident" doesn't apply here.
Many thanks

J&T

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Has anyone shipped boxes of personal goods from the U.K to the Dominican Republic recently? Does anyone know rates, methods or maybe a shipping company that may be of good service? (Approximately 40 boxes weighing on average 10kg each).
I am a non-resident so the "first container is free when you're a resident" doesn't apply here.
Many thanks

J&T

Can't exactly say recently but, the company who arranged the transportation of our goods, which were 18 computer sized boxes of personal belongings, was the same company who organised the transportation for our dogs and cats. The cost then was just ?3.50 per kilo which included collection from our home in Devon, transportation to London Gatwick and flight from there to POP whereupon Mr. WB collected from POP airport.

The company name is Jets 4 Pets and they are based in Crawley, Surrey. Telephone 01293 511456, e-mail: enquiries@jets4pets.com and their website is Jets4pets. My contact there was Cheryl Duggan and she was helpful, professional and efficient.

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
check how much you can take as luggage. When i moved out there from the UK we could take 2 suitcases each containing 32kg each bag or 64kg per person plus 10kg hand luggage = 74Kg * 3 people = 222kg! That is a lot, anymore i couldn't push the cart and was enough to include all light linen, few kids toys, books, clothes, personal stuff, lots small electricals and 2 laptops and even some kitchenware.

Anything else you need you can buy when you get there. I have no idea why you want to ship another 400kg in freight it will be cheaper to sell some stuff on ebay before you go and take the cash instead.

BTW customs can cause you a lot of hassle they will go through all your stuff and charge whatever they like on top for duty if you ship freight. You have to go to the customs port collection point.

sicknote

Jun 9, 2009
we brought a wooden crate on the same thomas cook flight that we traveled on, it cost us approx 500 pounds in the uk to get the crate and all the paperwork sorted in manchester, then wen you collect it over here it will help ip you have someone fluent in spanish to help you and make sure that there are at least 3 people with you because once the customs open it over here there are loads on locals ready to help you look after your belongings,(if you know what i mean ), we flew from manchester to puerto plata and the crate was approx 3ft x 3ft x 7ft and weighed 380 kg and we got charged about 5000 pesos in duty and back handers,,,,,,,,i am very lucky to have a few good reliable friends over here that helped me,,,,,,i hope this helps

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Thanks for all of your replies, I have responded to three companys and will post my results as soon as possible.
Thanks again.

J&T