Blackout on North Coast - need to verify if true

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just spoke to Edenorte about a lack of power in Cabarete this afternoon and they said that there is a general black out on the North Coast.

Can anyone else confirm that?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I just spoke to Edenorte about a lack of power in Cabarete this afternoon and they said that there is a general black out on the North Coast.

Can anyone else confirm that?

Suffered here badly with no power from 1pm on Wednesday until 7am Thursday when we had just 3 hours (so, therefore off 20+ hours). It came on again 2 pm - 4 pm and has just come back on now. We called into the Edenorte office in Sabaneta this morning who told us that there had been a problem with the generator in POP yesterday but they seemed confident that today onwards would be more normal (whatever that is!).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Shirley . We also had about the same outages. It is a good sign you are back on, but we aren't yet.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
we are out all over in Puerto Plata. Long outages all week long. Some issue with power plant - I expect the government forgot to pay them!

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
We are in Santiago and rarely have a power outage in the evening but we were out today from about 5:15 until 7:40pm.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no power here i costambar. but it means nothing as we get power cuts every day for 6 to 10 hours at a time...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
we are out all over in Puerto Plata. Long outages all week long. Some issue with power plant - I expect the government forgot to pay them!

It is very common for Edenorte to make up some story about a broken cable when in fact the power plants are cutting back due to lack of payment. That is why I wanted to see if it was indeed a general outage. Thanks for the report.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Costamabar is a Class B circuit

no power here i costambar. but it means nothing as we get power cuts every day for 6 to 10 hours at a time...

From the Edenorte web site Costambar is a class B circuit where most people pay for power and should only have outages about 4 hours a day barring major system wide problems.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
It's Easter, perhaps they used the money to buy Easter presents for the families of the politicians.

Our power on our 24/7 line was off about 3 hours or so this evening.
With the Inverter, sometimes I don't notice the outage when it goes on/off.

Don

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Virtually NO blackout today (for the time I was home) on my side of POP.
... J-D.

I'm on the same side of Puerto Plata as JD. Power was off for a couple of hours this afternoon but no general blackout in PP as described in earlier posts. The downtown areas always get the worst part of the deal, so I can understand why residents there would think it was the same all over PP. But in reality it isn't.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ours has been off and on for the last couple of days. This is the weekend we were promised 24 hour power by the government right????
At least we will be rewarded for this poor service after the elections with a price increase. Makes perfect sense to me. Don't fix the problem (government pay its bills, those stealing electricty pay your bills, upgrade the equipment, etc, etc, etc) rather just collect more from those you can....

BObK

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
BOHICA Bobk? Electriciy Price will go up after elections

Ours has been off and on for the last couple of days. This is the weekend we were promised 24 hour power by the government right????
At least we will be rewarded for this poor service after the elections with a price increase. Makes perfect sense to me. Don't fix the problem (government pay its bills, those stealing electricity pay your bills, upgrade the equipment, etc, etc, etc) rather just collect more from those you can....

BObK

We did have power last night, but as BobK is fond of saying with respect to things like the upcoming electricity price increases after the elections and for those of us that actually pay our bills:

BOHICA - Bend Over Here it Comes Again.

As I watch people on the street making another illegal hookup.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you don't pay for elect., "We'll put you in Jail". Yea right. The City Hall don't even py the bill. Get Real.