Good life in the DR??

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Is living (or retiring) in the DR really as bad as many people here on DR1 say it is?? Do any of you have positive stories to tell?

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Is living (or retiring) in the DR really as bad as many people here on DR1 say it is?? Do any of you have positive stories to tell?

IMHO, it has alot to do with how much money you have to live/retire with. I could be more possitive living on US200,000 than US20,000 a year.

RUBIO4U

Apr 1, 2008
I love living here. No political correctness from the states and no apologizing for being a white heterosexual male. Now if they can only leave the power on!

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I agree that 50k USD should be fine .... after you are initially setup with large purchases like a vehicle etc.

Mar 2, 2008
$50,000 US a year would certainly suffice. In my opinion, half of that amount would suffice. Of course, it all depends on what type of lifestyle you want to maintain.

Other than being careful of who one associates with, and keeping one's expectations of paradise to a minimum, I think most people could find a degree of happiness here. It's not for everyone, but many have found this country to be very enjoyable, myself included.

Reactions: Lucille

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Do any of you have positive stories to tell?

But of COURSE! There are positive stories written throughout the forums and archives here on DR1 including my own. Yes it is a good life here in the DR; I am perfectly content with my life. I would however like to see improvement in the lives of many locals.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you don't have the "good life" where you are, you will not find it here.

You will be the same person here as where you came from.

It's not about money.

It's about you.

And $1500-1700mo can buy you a nice, comfortable life here, but not living a life of First World hedonistic excess.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
No need to worry about that, I already have the 'good life' here. I'm just asking because there seems to be a lot of negative posts on here.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
cobraboy,

Damn good advice and right on the nail. People think the grass is greener on the other side-nothing could be further from the truth. I see that with a lot of Dominicans here with their ideas about the U.S and Europe, but same goes for those coming from there to the DR. You bring your problems w/ you no matter where you go. Yes, about $20K per year can provide for a comfortable existence with some travel and entertainment included.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

I think it is human behaviour to complain (yeah I am human). You tend to write about things that bother u and not all the pros by living here. Climate, freedom etc etc.

Most of the people, me included, stay here because we like it, if we hated it we would have moved home or somewhere else.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks for the insight. We are very excited about our move. We just sold our RV and we're listing our home on Tuesday. We thought the country was beautiful, and the people as well. I speak Spanish pretty well, my kids have had a few years education in it, and my husband is trying to learn as fast as he can. We're looking forward to some adventure as we learn about our new home. Thanks for all of the good advice.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We moved here just under 4 years ago and have no regrets whatsoever in making the decision to make the DR our full time place of residence and new 'home' country.

There is a large 'learning curve' which you would naturally expect when moving from one culture to another but, with the right attitude, this can be embraced and enjoyed along the way. It's the people you meet and the new true friends you make who will truly help you adjust to 'different' things.

I think my overwhelming recommendation would be to maintain respect at all times but never be bullied!

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
There is a saying that "no news is good news."
But conversely good news is no news.
Almost no expat residents will post on DR1 if they have a run of the mill good experience.
For example, I wandered out on the terrace today in the blazing morning sunshine and drank my coffee watching two falcons flying around in spectacular fashion.
Priceless.

Not worth a mention on DR1 though.....

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
There is a saying that "no news is good news."
But conversely good news is no news.
Almost no expat residents will post on DR1 if they have a run of the mill good experience.
For example, I wandered out on the terrace today in the blazing morning sunshine and drank my coffee watching two falcons flying around in spectacular fashion.
Priceless.

Not worth a mention on DR1 though.....

You are absolutely right about good news here hardly getting mentioned. I'm all for changing that. Here's to hearing about wonderful mornings. I just watched a spectacular sunset over the water.

Last edited: