Do you believe Dominicans are a humble simple people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2003
Just curious to see how the DR1 crowd responds.

I was talking to a friend of mine who says that Dominicans are arrogant while extolling the virtues of Hondurans as a simple and humble people especially the women.

I was wondering is this a general feeling amongst people that Dominicans compared to others are arrogant and proud.

?

? bient?t

Overall, Dominicans are way too arrogant. I make daily observations of the dominicano-hasta-la-tambora phenomenon, enough to write a book on the subject. Good or bad, I can't stand it.

Mar 2, 2008
I think Dominicans represent a wide variety of attitudes, including arrogance as well as humility.

I also believe there is a measure of pride in being Dominican, as there should be, and as is the case with many nationalities.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have seen the full range from humble to arrogant, but would not put them into just one "bin". I would say that most are proud to be Dominicans because they love the beauty of their country.

I agree with you. Since 1975 I've met untold numbers of Dominicans in DR, and for the past 8 years I've done business almost exclusively with them in the US. Like any other ethnic group there are all types. My experience is that there are many more good/humble ones than bad/arrogant ones. To lump them all together is a travesty. It makes no more sense than thinking all Americans are like the "ugly-American" tourists who none of us like - and I'm American.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree that:

1. Dominicans are proud to be Dominicans.

Despite the problems they experience in their daily life, they are still feel a very close tie to their country.

2. You cannot lump all Dominicans together, any more than you can the people of any country.

But having spent time on most of the islands of the eastern Caribbean, I can say I would much rather live in the DR than on the other islands because of the nature of the Dominican people.

May 29, 2006
I don't think you can generalize Dominicans as a whole. There are huge cultural differences between the folks who live in the campo and in SD. I'm from NY city but I do not have anything in common with most people from NYC. I have been astonished at the generosity of some the poorist Dominicans I've met and appalled at the greed of others.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Overall, Dominicans are way too arrogant.

Or, underall, is it insecurity?

You and O&C can say this because you are Dominican. The rest of us are doomed to liberal phrases of fairness in order to avoid stereotyping. Now, O&C, had you asked about why Dominicans appear to be either way too biggety or way too self-deprecating I might have been able to join in. I've certainly seen the extremes, or at least extremes in my perception. But that's because I come from a more reserved culture where it isn't done to over or under enthuse about the self, (old boy!). Doesn't mean it's wrong for others to do so, however (hastily inserting liberal phrase of fairness to avoid stereotyping ;) ).

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
The rest of us are doomed to liberal phrases of fairness in order to avoid stereotyping.

But isn't that the whole point, to give explicit, honest & clear answers?. I for once would love to read your opinion on Dominicans, you're a smart girl, and reading your posts (which I love) you always seem balanced and unbiased. So go ahead & give us your honest opinion, if it's negative, your reputation can afford to take a hit.

Jan 3, 2003
Now, O&C, had you asked about why Dominicans appear to be either way too biggety or way too self-deprecating I might have been able to join in. I've certainly seen the extremes, or at least extremes in my perception.

Well then, you've rephrased it in a way that also resonates. The "uppity-ness" is a trait that irks folks about Dominicans.

I guess many feel that the pride of being Dominican produces a reckless behavior seen in littered rivers, parks, etc.

They tell me they see a general disregard by Dominicans towards their own nation in public areas.

I was wondering if it was a generalized feeling BUT so far the posts demonstrate that it isn't. I guess I am only hearing the complainers.

Jan 3, 2003
Overall, Dominicans are way too arrogant. I make daily observations of the dominicano-hasta-la-tambora phenomenon, enough to write a book on the subject. Good or bad, I can't stand it.

DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS-let us know what irks you about Dominicans. Give an example or two of a scenario in which you saw this behavior.

Mar 2, 2008
Please don't misinterpret what I said.

Basically, I said there are many shapes and sizes of Dominicans (both literally and figuratively). That does not mean that Dominicans are without flaws, or that they are somehow different from other cultures.

Obviously, I have noticed the litter, and the inconsiderate driving habits and disrespect for others on the road, but I am not ready to generalize that into being a common Dominican trait.

There is much that is unpleasant about a variety of behaviors here, but that does not extrapolate into anything that might be construed as a cultural norm.

It is something that is disturbing, but nothing more. It should be noted that such behaviors are also disturbing in North America and Europe. There is nothing unique about that.

?

? bient?t

DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS-let us know what irks you about Dominicans. Give an example or two of a scenario in which you saw this behavior.

Dominicano por accidente; pariguayo y ciudadano del mundo porque me d? la gana, and the natural way to be. I thank the FSM my "armour-plated breast has long since lost its sheen."

Details? There isn't enough room here.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Ask them why.

donP

Can you figure out how a small country like DR is in word of mouth of millions people around the world.....
There are so many reasons that it would be hard to name in one thread.

JJ

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
But isn't that the whole point, to give explicit, honest & clear answers?. I for once would love to read your opinion on Dominicans, you're a smart girl, and reading your posts (which I love) you always seem balanced and unbiased. So go ahead & give us your honest opinion, if it's negative, your reputation can afford to take a hit.

How can I not respond having been called a girl :) you flatterer. Vacara, I can describe what I see and experience but I tend not to judge it because, well, that isn't me. The proudness I experience as patriotism. The arrogance which I have seen in some, I see as a function of a machismo society. I think it's to do with a man measuring himself up against other men (yes almost in that sense too! :cheeky:). Were I to be in the 'seeking a man' market that would annoy me; not because of the peacock stuff but because I would not be considered suitable to be a player in the game. I don't react well to being 'dismissed' as an unequal...but, since I'm not in that market it doesn't become an issue. The unreliability I know how to interpret now, so, no problem. The humility I see as partly a function of decades of oppression and partly a set of learned responses which aid survival. Ditto the astuteness (being street-smart). The spontaneity can be both glorious and sef-defeating. The generosity is awe inspiring. The resilience earns my ongoing respect. The irrepressible optimism allows me to show mine so there is much of the kindred spirit about that. The litter I plain don't see.

And O&C with reference to the thread title, I have yet to meet a 'simple' Dominican.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We've only lived here for 5 years, so we don't have he experience of other posters. As in most countries there is a difference between those that live in the campo and those that live in the city. Difference in the rich and the poor. To me the worst s the children of the rich. The entitled. We avoid them at all cost. The best are the people in the campo. If it is raining they will invite you on to their porch. Offer you something to eat, even thou they don't have a lot, and sit and talk to you till the rain stops, and then want to give you something to take with you. Dominicans are great people. It seem as in any culture, money changes some people. Not all, but some.

Reactions: woofsback
Mar 2, 2008
I agree with oriole. I have witnessed several "silver spooned" students taunt a shoeshine boy simply because they could. The teachers and/or adults who were looking on did nothing to intervene, and in fact appeared to be encouraging of such behavior.

Despite the rantings of a few posters, who seem overly obsequious and apparently enthralled by the rich and pseudo-famous, I prefer to be in the company of the "ordinary", down-to-earth Dominicans.

Actually, I much prefer the down-to-earth populations in the US as well. I find the snobbery of the rich, along with their over developed sense of self-importance and entitlement to be offensive and boring.

Reactions: AlterEgo
Status
Not open for further replies.