sending a car from DR to europe

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
does anybody know any reliable company which could be of assistance sending a car from Santo Domingo to Antwerp or Hamburg.
and what kind of documentation will be required?

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
i think you will find most people will tell you to sell it. Apart from costing couple thousand bucks shipping the paper work must be horrendous. Have to pay import duty into Europe too and registration fees, plates etc.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
i think you will find most people will tell you to sell it. Apart from costing couple thousand bucks shipping the paper work must be horrendous. Have to pay import duty into Europe too and registration fees, plates etc.

You are right! but the car has an emotional value ... it's an antique.
And with Hapag-Lloyd i only get drops of info!
Will the dominican customs be difficult too?

flo

Apr 11, 2006
i heard if it is for example a mercedes benz or porsche made in germany, then YOU DO NOT have to pay import taxes for germany, maybe for all europe !? because they are german products, if its an american japanese or whatever car you will have to pay

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
i heard if it is for example a mercedes benz or porsche made in germany, then YOU DO NOT have to pay import taxes for germany, maybe for all europe !? because they are german products, if its an american japanese or whatever car you will have to pay

No, once the vehicle has been exported from the EU, either new or used, it would be a re-import with duty.
The only case it would be exonerated from duties would be minimal value or that it has been used in the EU and never been "exported"... meaning that it would still have a valid EU registration (which would be "illegal" here, as a vehicle only should be registered in the country it is being used last).

I think that the import segment of your little project is the easiest to get solid information on; form the EU country's customs office (your local consulate will be glad to give you the contact).
Unless it is perceived locally as a vehicle of historic value to the DR, I doubt that you will have a lot of problems exporting your vehicle. But then, I wouldn't bank on my doubts.

... J-D.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
No, once the vehicle has been exported from the EU, either new or used, it would be a re-import with duty.
The only case it would be exonerated from duties would be minimal value or that it has been used in the EU and never been "exported"... meaning that it would still have a valid EU registration (which would be "illegal" here, as a vehicle only should be registered in the country it is being used last).

I think that the import segment of your little project is the easiest to get solid information on; form the EU country's customs office (your local consulate will be glad to give you the contact).
Unless it is perceived locally as a vehicle of historic value to the DR, I doubt that you will have a lot of problems exporting your vehicle. But then, I wouldn't bank on my doubts.

... J-D.

Hi J-D!
thanks for your input!
It's a Renault Alpine A 110 :) It came from Germany 10 years ago
and was registered there.
I bought it for 500 Dollars and have a legal contract documenting it.
It is not working at all and needs tons of fixing...

LOL i contacted the german customs and they gave me information which
was loaded with infos / rules / exceptions / EU regulations / well you can not imagine after 3 days reading all i got more confused.

Also i contacted Hapag-Lloyd Germany, the shipment company, they told they do customs clearance but not for cars. Contacting different companies, asap i say it is a car, all tell:"we do not do vehicles"!
For this reason i got nervous. Maybe i should do the customs clearance myself.

Would the dominican customs be easy? or is it the same nightmare like importing? lol charging export taxes for a chatarra like it was a Ferrari LOL

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
An A110 would definiotely be worth dragging around.

Nice car. Good luck.

I would imagine there would be expemptions for a vintage car like that.

I would contact a vintage car organization in the country you intend to register the car in. I will be they can answer any questions you have and refer you to someone in the know.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I can only speak for belgium... if a car is older than 25 years it will become vintage and is excempt from taxes...

We did a lot of import/export from Antwerp harbour... let me think a little and I may get you a name of an expiditing company there...

I know a store in Antwerp which imports cars all the time... let me look them up... and I will forward you their contact info... I know the people and they will be quite happy to help you with their contacts...

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
I can only speak for belgium... if a car is older than 25 years it will become vintage and is excempt from taxes...

We did a lot of import/export from Antwerp harbour... let me think a little and I may get you a name of an expiditing company there...

I know a store in Antwerp which imports cars all the time... let me look them up... and I will forward you their contact info... I know the people and they will be quite happy to help you with their contacts...

wow that would be great! this is my first sea freight shipment ;-)
the car is 35 years old.