Skype for SIP instead of Vonage

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was wondering if anybody has taken advantage of the Skype for SIP system in lieu of using Vonage to make calls abroad from the DR?

Skype released the SIP beta program to enable this recently and it appears one can buy a PBX for less than US100 and program it in order to use it with a regular phone instead of the computer to make calls a la Vonage. The advantages are cost and the fact that Skype has not been easily shut down by internet providers.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Andy

Thanks. I'm committed to going with Skype based on my research. The reason being is that I'm running a business and can't afford for the system to be down at any time. There are many VOIP providers but unfortunately few are good enough that one could depend on enough to run a business.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
I have been using Betamax services for 7 years now and can't complain. For 5 Euro every 2 months you get 300 minutes of free calls every week to their FREE destinations. If you go over your 300-minute limit they will start charging you something between 0.5 or 1 cent a minute.

Here is web site you can compare the rates for different clones of Betamax -

betamax price comparison

Regarding nettalk box - crap-crap-crap. You can buy a regular Linksys VoIP adapter for less than 40 USD and program it to use with Betamax. Connect the box to the internet LAN, plug in any touch-tone phone and receive & make free calls without computer.

Yes, I have been also using it for business - no problem at all. Very reliable service.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Speak to AZB about this. He is the board "guru" when it comes to SIP phones, VOIP etc.

He set me up with free calls to USA, Europe etc :)

When you get into SIP phones, software, routers etc, it starts to get a little technical.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have been using Betamax services for 7 years now and can't complain. For 5 Euro every 2 months you get 300 minutes of free calls every week to their FREE destinations. If you go over your 300-minute limit they will start charging you something between 0.5 or 1 cent a minute.

betamax price comparison

Regarding nettalk box - crap-crap-crap. You can buy a regular Linksys VoIP adapter for less than 40 USD and program it to use with Betamax. Connect the box to the internet LAN, plug in any touch-tone phone and receive & make free calls without computer.

Yes, I have been also using it for business - no problem at all. Very reliable service.

Excellent link, thank you!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

betamax price comparison

Thanks.

I'm really only interested in calling in the US. I did a Google search but can't find anything on their website about calling plans. Can you send a link please?

Also, the Linksys VOIP box you bought is a SIP device as far as I understand it. It is basically an instrument that allows one to make voip calls w/o using a computer.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are only calling the US why not Magic Jack? All calls to the US are free, cell phones also.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Thanks.

I'm really only interested in calling in the US. I did a Google search but can't find anything on their website about calling plans. Can you send a link please?

A few links -
http://www.nonoh.net/en/calling-rates.html
http://www.voipcheap.com/en/calling-rates.html
http://www.smslisto.com/en/calling-rates.html
etc...

Also, the Linksys VOIP box you bought is a SIP device as far as I understand it. It is basically an instrument that allows one to make voip calls w/o using a computer.

Exactly. No computer required. Here is how it looks on the table -

ca6a990b3166.jpg

This one is yet another model - Grandstream

You can also get a free USA number from ipkall.com , attach it to your VOIP account and have people in the USA call you at that number anywhere in the World.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you are only calling the US why not Magic Jack? All calls to the US are free, cell phones also.

I'd rather not use my computer if I don't have to. Also, I'm concerned about quality and consistency. For this reason I beleive I'm going to go with skype, which should run me no more than US90 a year.

Vonage has been great these last 4 years and have no complaints, other than the price is too high for me now with the economy as it is and seeing that there are more reasonable voip plans.