Parsnips/chiriva/pastinaca

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Do parsnips exist in the DR? If so what the name they are known by here and where can I buy them? There aint none in LT that I can find.On our last trip back to blighty my wife was introduced to them, she gobbled them up and continuously asked when we could have them again. No big surprise there, their sweetness must appeal to Dominican taste.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, I've never seen them here, but if you can lay your hands on cepa de apio there is a certain similarity, and in any case cepa de apio is worth it in itself. It;s grown in the Constanza area but sometimes appears in the supermarket vegetable section - it's a tuber.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
No, I've never seen them here, but if you can lay your hands on cepa de apio there is a certain similarity, and in any case cepa de apio is worth it in itself. It;s grown in the Constanza area but sometimes appears in the supermarket vegetable section - it's a tuber.

Similarity between parsnip and apio (celery) ???

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Do parsnips exist in the DR? If so what the name they are known by here and where can I buy them? There aint none in LT that I can find.On our last trip back to blighty my wife was introduced to them, she gobbled them up and continuously asked when we could have them again. No big surprise there, their sweetness must appeal to Dominican taste.

Parnips seem to be a total 'no no' here. We have tried growing them from seed in both the North and the South without any success whatsoever. Just maybe they would grow in the cooler areas of Jarabacoa or Constanza but they really need a frost to make them right. If you find some, however, please let me know as we would 'die' for a parsnip here!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you find some, however, please let me know as we would 'die' for a parsnip here!!!

Never found any but what I have done is to roast yucca (previously sliced in parsnip shapes (!) & brought to boil in water, then roasted like roast tatties) and to my easily pleased tastebuds :cheeky:, the taste wasn't that dissimilar.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
First I'll try and find some cepa de apio and I'll try the the yucca but I doubt Lambada that I have the skill to cut the yucca into parsnip shape, triangular or semicircular thick at one end and then tapering down. However nil desperandum.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Cor, Lambada, the parsnips in your link look delicious. The tele can send pictures and sounds, when will we have it that can also send smells and tastes?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I was reading about growing veg in tropical climates and it seems you still have to abide by the normal sowing seasons for certain things even though the weather doesnt change- it was actually an australian site for the tropical north region and gave planting months for various things

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
They have these in el Pola. They are called Nabo Fresco...aren't they the same?

parsnip_gladiator_000.jpg

Reactions: AlterEgo

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Where is el Pola??? I am on my way there now and will Metropac them to all Brits in the country!!!!!!! I have been waiting 4 years for a parsnip.

Matilda

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
El Pola....Everywhere but I was in the one on Lope de Vega / Gustavo M. Ricart... I hope it's the right stuff! But I used it before for a canadian stew and it taste the same.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and will Metropac them to all Brits in the country!!!!!!! Matilda

Errmm. Very generous offer BUT once the disreputable side of law enforcement gets wind of this, north coast Metropac offices will have a posse just waiting for collection by unsuspecting expats. These veg are white, they are fibrous, which means inside could go powdery........if you get my drift? ;). Don't think you want to give 'em any more entrepreneurial opportunities than they already make for themselves :cheeky:.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Marvelous, brilliant Matilda, yes please. Unfortunately Metro does not come to Las Terrenas but a guagua does 4 times a day and they'll carry parcels. They leave from the bus station in Calle Barahona behind the Duarte Plaza Lama. 5 pounds please. Let me know how much money to send you and I'll bank transfer it to you forthwith, so don't forget to send me your bank details by PM if you like.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
El Pola....Everywhere but I was in the one on Lope de Vega / Gustavo M. Ricart... I hope it's the right stuff! But I used it before for a canadian stew and it taste the same.

Sorry for being a hick country girl but is that in the capital??? And is La Pola a supermarket??? us Brits are now on a mission to get parsnips,

matilda