American with a Dominican Love?

J

JenNY

Hi everyone I started a email group for these type of relationships. Basically it's about the K-1 Visa but it might be good in all aspects. If your interested in joining send me an email.

JenNY

J

Jon Baxter

Hey....,That sounds interesting. Add me to the list and keep me posted.

K

Kareng

Re: American with a Dominican Love?....What about us Canadians???

Although the process is different and more difficult in Canada, I'm sure your input would be interesting. Please feel free to add me to your list.

M

Marie

Canadians are Americans also because they are in the Americas. For that matter Dominicans are also Americans.

J

Jodi

Ask any Canadian if the are "American"....I guarantee they will say "No...I am Canadian" There is a lot for us Canadians to be proud about and distinguishing us from our friends south of our border is important to most of us.

G

Garry

Re: Dominicans are Americans?

I won't go into the comment about Canadians being American. But, i am sure you won't find any Dominicans saying they are Americans either! Perhaps we could ask Sammy Sosa that question? I guess you would say Cubans are Americans too, EH? How absurd.

J

Jared

Yeah, but he still likes those American dollars doesn't he??? I love it, you people are beautiful, take what you can from America and then shit all over it........ You must be a Canadian, EH??????

G

Garry

You obviously read something between the lines there pal. I was mearly stating that everybody in the western hemisphere are not "Americans" as the previous writer was suggesting (Katie, Marie, Anne or whatever). If it offends you that other countries prefer not be lumped into one identity, I aplogize. Yes i am Canadian and proud of it. As I am sure you are proud to be "American". I consider my neighbors to the south as good friends (and have many down there by the way). As far as the millions of dollars that Mr. Sosa earns. Are you saying that you are upset that someone throws all kinds of money at him to hit a ball and takes it back to his homeland with him? I don't recall him slamming anybody or anything in the US of A. I think its time to clear this whole (identity) misunderstanding. Group hug anyone?

K

Keith

Actually, with all due respect, you are quite wrong. I live in the DR and have encountered many Dominicans who say that they are Americans -- that the U.S. has no exclusive on the term, and in point of fact, Hispanola was "American" before there was a USA as an independent country. That is why US and Canadian citizens are referred to here as NORTH Americans, or haven't you ever wondered about that? Dominicans are LATIN Americans, but Americans nonetheless. Being part of the Americas does not make one any less Dominican or Canadian or Mexican or Brazilian. Indeed, there is a sound geographical and historical reason behind such institutional names as the Organization of AMERICAN States (OAS), the Inter-AMERICAN Development Bank (IDB) and Pan AMERICAN Health Organization (PAHO, all of which Canada is a founding member, as is the DR, and yes, even Cuba.

Regards, Keith

J

JenNY

Re: American with a Dominican Love?--JON BAXTER

I'd love to add you to the list, but you don't have an email attached.. Write me and let me know!

JenNY

G

Garry

Hi kieth. Your argument was very well put together. Except that you are missing the point of my discussion. My reply was in response to someone labelling citizens from countries other than the USA as Americans. Any way you cut it, Citzens from Canada are called Canadians. Those from the Dominican Republic are known as Dominicans. Those from Jamaica are known as Jamaicans. And yes, those from the U.S.A. are globally known as Americans. We all have unique identities which make us proud to call ourselves a name which identifies ourselves as a citizen of our country. Maybe you are right. Perhaps I am spitting hairs here. I have a great idea. Lets put an end to this thread and accept that we just call us all "Earthlings". Beam me up Scotty, drop me off at the nearest beach bar!

D

diana

Jared,

Regarding your comment.....Did you happen to see the State of the Union yesterday by president Clinton??????? Wake up and smell the coffee....international coffee that is!!!!!!!!!

PS: where is the name "Jared" from??????

J

Jon Baxter

Re: American with a Dominican Love?--JON BAXTER

Oops, sorry about that. Lets try it again. By the way its a great idea is it succesful so far.

G

Garry

Watch what you say. Jared might call Bill to send a bomb your way.