Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is reasonable child support?

Just wondering what is a reasonable amount to send to the DR to support one 13 year old child. My husband lives in the UK and we have 3 children 3,4 and 8. His son came to visit us for 6 months on a visit visa and has now gone back home. Since his return his mum has constantly asked for money for him, she sold all his school uniform and asked for money for new uniform and now wants even more money than before each month. My husband seems to think he must pay for everything for this child and support his mother aswell. So just wondered what is a reasonable amount he should send to her each month for his child. Surely this mother should be paying something towards her child, after all she finally has a part time job after sitting at home for years being supported by my husband.

He doesn't feel the same need to support his children here and it is a constant nightmare to get him to support his 3 children here and he wouldn't dream of financially supporting me as his wife of 8 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your x originally from the U.K. or the D.R.?
    Last edited by waytogo; 04-05-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my husband is Dominican and so is his ex who lives with his son in DR, he has been in the UK 10 years now and I met hiim here in the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

You will receive a lot of replies about a Dominican man paying or not paying child support.
    I am not going to comment any further on this because there are a lot of people far more learned on this topic than me that you will hear from shortly. Good Luck.......

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most Dominican men pay a few thousand pesos a month for child support. Yes, I know its not much, but if you consider there are families with multiple kids living on 8 - 12k a month then it makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

When a friend took her ex-husband to court for child support, she met some other women in the waiting room. Their claims ranged from RD$500 a month to a couple of hundred thousands of pesos per month by the ex-mistress of a very wealthy man. The calculations are based on the father's income and the child's needs, but most women I know in that situation get much less than the court awards and are either having to lump it or continue taking their exes to court.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I think $200 is a good number thats 50 clams a month. I dont know how much that is in euros or pounds but that is lower than the average wage here.
    If it is his 1st child he must love the boy like no other and he wants him to get a good life. You re in europe so those kids are ok any how but he wants his 13yo boy to have the same kind of life. I d just petition for the boy to come to me in UK.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your help. He has always supported this child and his mother very well, sending her large amounts of money over the years, enabling her to stay at home and look after her child. We have three children together and both need to work to support these children, although he doesnt feel he has to support the children with me in the same way as he does his son over in the DR. His son came to live with us in the UK in October last year, but in November his father had to leave the family home and left me to look after his child along with our 3. I looked after his child until he went back home in February, but i am no longer prepared to do this alone. Thats why he has now returned home.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the math. Where does he live? How much is school, unless he's in public school. Food, clothes, etc.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by severino View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help. He has always supported this child and his mother very well, sending her large amounts of money over the years, enabling her to stay at home and look after her child. We have three children together and both need to work to support these children, although he doesnt feel he has to support the children with me in the same way as he does his son over in the DR. His son came to live with us in the UK in October last year, but in November his father had to leave the family home and left me to look after his child along with our 3. I looked after his child until he went back home in February, but i am no longer prepared to do this alone. Thats why he has now returned home.
    May I ask where did your husband go all that time ???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast