Stealing Power - will they start enforce the laws?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now that Semana Santa is over, I recall Pichardo posting that the government would start to enforce the laws against the stealing of electricity, card based meters to be installed in some ares, etc.

Please post if you see any actions taken against those who are stealing electricity.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Would that make you happy?

To see poor people getting hauled off to jail, or huddling around candles at night.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

To see poor people getting hauled off to jail, or huddling around candles at night.

There wasn't anything in windeguy's post to insinuate he would or would not be happy. He was asking for information like a lot of us seek wondering what the government is going to do. I don't believe anyone wants to see these unfortunate people hurt more than they already are. It is a topic of discussion and should be treated as such.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The thing is, in my experience here, it's not only the very poor or only Dominican and Hatian people who steal electricity. I would advocate the appropriate punishment for the many people who CAN afford to pay for their electricity but just CHOOSE to steal it, whether they are stealing from the power company or a nieghbor!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Eventually, government debts (due to allowing people to steal the electricity) will cause the government to crack down. Government always overspend, hence increased taxes and increased enforcement of laws. It will happen, it's just a matter of time. The writing is on the wall.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004

The OP presented a simple question that has merit.

Poor, middle class or rich - they should not steal the electricity and the laws should be enforced irrespective of the socio economic situation of the thief.

Whats your address - Lets send the "poor" people to your house to steal your TV and personal items. That would be ok wouldn't it.

I suspect not.

It does not need to be complicated. Start to prosecute and enforce the law and ignore the noise and distractions such as raised by this post.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exactly.

And the government has ways to correct this situation and still allow for poor people to obtain electricity legally. They just don't have the political will to carry them out because allowing stealing is "so much better" for them to stay in "power".

The OP presented a simple question that has merit.

Poor, middle class or rich - they should not steal the electricity and the laws should be enforced irrespective of the socio economic situation of the thief.

Whats your address - Lets send the "poor" people to your house to steal your TV and personal items. That would be ok wouldn't it.

I suspect not.

It does not need to be complicated. Start to prosecute and enforce the law and ignore the noise and distractions such as raised by this post.

Reactions: Black Dog

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Exactly.

And the government has ways to correct this situation and still allow for poor people to obtain electricity legally. They just don't have the political will to carry them out because allowing stealing is "so much better" for them to stay in "power".

Bingo! It's for the government to find a method of providing power for poor people at an affordable price and at the same time enforce the law.

E

engineerfg

nobody in this country would need to huddle over candles to keep warm?

maybe the thieves would have a hard time chilling their presidente jumbo and watching their big screen tv's which are most likely bigger than yours and mine.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
nobody in this country would need to huddle over candles to keep warm?

maybe the thieves would have a hard time chilling their presidente jumbo and watching their big screen tv's which are most likely bigger than yours and mine.

Are you talking about POOR people?
The poor people I know have dirt floors, no tv's, four families sharing one small refrigerator and energy 2 times a week when lucky. Hot water comes from pots heated on the stove. Most steal the energy because they just don't have the money. Maybe the people you know just aren't that poor. And if they had a big screen tv, lol, it would be sold for food for the kids.
When I lived in La Trinitaria in Santiago, I lived 2 blocks from the apartment that the president lived in when he is in Santiago. His rent, 9000. U.S. per month.
Do you have any idea how many homes of the poor can be supplied energy every month for this amount. Who is the real criminal ?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
This was a ridiculous comment. In what other country are people allowed to steal electricity?

Sounds like I upset a few of you.

Now now. We all know that stealing is wrong and I do not condone it, but the situation in DR is not exactly a simple one.

I should let you know that I consider myself to be very conservative, and far from a ?bleeding heart? type that my previous post may have lead you to believe.

You made reference to ?other countries?. Okay, I would like to use the US as an example. There is a large population of Americans that receive free electricity either by subsidies or directly by the USA?s many entitlement programs; public housing is a fine example of this. Poor people receive free electricity by entitlements; Incredible. Do you think for one minute that there would be serenity in the urban centers of the USA if these entitlements were stopped? Do you think that it is even advisable to tell the poor masses that they should not be entitled to electricity because they can?t afford it? I?ll tell you that this is how riots and civil unrests are started.

I see the DR and the US system to be very similar in that the poor receive basic utilities for free, whether it is by stealing or entitlements, to stave off civil unrest. This is Sociology 101.

There are not enough jails or administrative resources to crack down on electricity theft.

Would I like these people to pay for electricity? Yes of course I would. But if they can?t afford it, and the folks in the government won?t give them any, it could be a social experiment ?gone wrong?.

I strongly agree with you and Black Dog that it is the government?s function to find a solution for the people. And I agree with Conchman that they eventually will. Surprisingly Collingwood, who usually have very solid posts decided to be hoakey on this one. No Collingwood, you cannot have my address so that poor Dominicans can steal my TV. :paranoid:

To really see that problem for what it is we need to look for the root cause. Yes inefficiencies and bureaucracy play a part, but as I have mentioned in other similar posts, the root cause of the problem in DR is the basic cost of refined, end product FUEL. Fuel produces the electricity, and I am sure you have noticed that fuel very expensive here.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
This was a ridiculous comment. In what other country are people allowed to steal electricity?

Why send people to jail, that's stupid and an action like that could start a movement that could throw the government out, what should be done is cut everybody who isn't paying, and if they connect again cut them again.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Why send people to jail, that's stupid and an action like that could start a movement that could throw the government out, what should be done is cut everybody who isn't paying, and if they connect again cut them again.

That's exactly what they're doing in my suegra's neighborhood - but they're reconnected within hours of the cut-off. There are actually guys who will do this for you for a small fee.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
toober - an insightful post. maybe the government needs to start handing out coupons based on income -- because i know of cases where the people could easily afford their electricity and didn't pay simply because they didn't have to.

E

engineerfg

Are you talking about POOR people?
The poor people I know have dirt floors, no tv's, four families sharing one small refrigerator and energy 2 times a week when lucky. Hot water comes from pots heated on the stove. Most steal the energy because they just don't have the money. Maybe the people you know just aren't that poor. And if they had a big screen tv, lol, it would be sold for food for the kids.
When I lived in La Trinitaria in Santiago, I lived 2 blocks from the apartment that the president lived in when he is in Santiago. His rent, 9000. U.S. per month.
Do you have any idea how many homes of the poor can be supplied energy every month for this amount. Who is the real criminal ?

nope not poor people. i've only been here a short time and i've met what i would consider 'middle class' people that steal electricity - or at least brag that they do!

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
toober - an insightful post. maybe the government needs to start handing out coupons based on income -- because i know of cases where the people could easily afford their electricity and didn't pay simply because they didn't have to.

Thanks Adrian. I am not sure that more bureaucracy would help this situation.

Yes, there are always those that will steal rather than pay, and that is because the cost of electricity here is so high or because they are thieves.

I fear that curt & hasty decision making could ruin this place that I call home.

Also, let?s not forget that this is not our country. We may be residents, but we are only really permanent visitors. It is up to the Dominicans to pave their way. For any of us to think otherwise is arrogant.

Ordinary Dominicans have the ?can do? attitude to make lemons into lemonade. In the past I was most impressed when after propane was subsidized by the government many vehicles were converted to run on propane. That?s impressive. Now that the price of propane is increasing, I am eager to see the next innovation.

To the OP, I apologize that I approached this thread from ?how? to ?why? will the situation be addressed.