Unsolved Murders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Any murder is tragic for the family; murders on the North Coast are particularly traumatic for several reasons:
1) The hostile attitude of the police. I will never forget sitting in the Puerto Plata police headquarters days after my uncle Thomas Philipp's murder. I thought I would be arrested if I said a word.
2) The inability of the police to arrest the right person, especially if the murder was officially sanctioned. Silent money is a powerful force on the North Coast.
3) The need to bury the person quickly, and rush the autopsy.
4) The vulnerability of the coroner to outside pressure.
5) The vulnerability of any property owned by the deceased to crooked lawyers, former employees and squatters.
Owning property, especially ranches and shoreline buildings, is dangerous. Such property is especially attractive to organized crime.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Why?

Why do you think he was murdered?

He got on the wrong side of a Hungarian mafioso in a property transaction. Before Thomas Reinis was shipped back to Hungary for murders committed there, he bought his way into the Balaguer government. My uncle was a major landowner in Sosua and the North Coast. Since his death many vultures have feasted on his land. If the rule is whoever profits the most from a murder commits it, we'd have to say there are several candidates--many of whom still are well connected.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
This country welcomes your investments.

Since his death many vultures have feasted on his land. If the rule is whoever profits the most from a murder commits it, we'd have to say there are several candidates--many of whom still are well connected.

So things have not changed much since then... :tired:
Very frightening.

donP

Status
Not open for further replies.