Best international school in Santo Domingo?

tamijt

Apr 6, 2010
Please help. My family just found out we will be moving down to SD for the next three years. We currently live in the U.S. I nave a 2nd grader and a kindergartner that I need to register for a school ASAP. Please tell me what the best schools are. I am having a lot of anxiety trying to figure out what to do. I checked with Carol Morgan but one of my kids will have to go on a waiting list. I want them both in the same school. I want them to get a US accredited education and learn Spanish. Any help would be appreciated. We will be down visiting in three weeks and need to register for a school while there.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to dr1, tamijt. I removed your full name and e-mail address for reasons of privacy. Posters can reply to your question on this thread or send a Private Message.

Location is important: for the benefit of posters who may have good advice, do you have any idea which part of the city you'll be living/working?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Please help. My family just found out we will be moving down to SD for the next three years. We currently live in the U.S. I nave a 2nd grader and a kindergartner that I need to register for a school ASAP. Please tell me what the best schools are. I am having a lot of anxiety trying to figure out what to do. I checked with Carol Morgan but one of my kids will have to go on a waiting list. I want them both in the same school. I want them to get a US accredited education and learn Spanish. Any help would be appreciated. We will be down visiting in three weeks and need to register for a school while there.
Thanks.

List of schools in the Dominican Republic

has all the schools in Santo Domingo, and costs.
Web sites and phone numbers included

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Best school in the DR is imo the french school. They have the exact same cursus than french public education program, they have around 98 or 99% of success in the last year exam (baccalaureat) and kids from this school get recruited to go to the best university's worldwide. The cost is about 350$ per month, kids have to be fluent in french to be admitted.

Accueil Lyc?e Fran?ais de Saint Domingue

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dre Broeders said:
Cost: US$ 4,000 ? 5,500 per annum, depending on grade and payment plan (2007-7)

Is that 4000 Dollars a year?
What means annum?
You pay 4000 Dollars and extra 5.500 pesos por annum?
I do not understand
I mean the St. Michaelschool

Those figures are out of date, by the way. If anyone would like to volunteer to update them, we would be very grateful.

"Per annum" means per year. Those were the fees you had to pay for one year. The range was from US$4,000 for pre-school to US$5,500 for high school.

Last edited:

tamijt

Apr 6, 2010
I am looking at St. George and St. Michael's. Any comments, good or bad, with either of them?
Thanks

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I am looking at St. George and St. Michael's. Any comments, good or bad, with either of them?
Thanks

Both are good, both are bilingual teaching.

Happen to know the St George Lit. department head, He is British. PM for his email ID. he should be able to answer most questions you might have.

sbergey

Jul 19, 2010
I'm sure you've made a decision, but...

Thanks

I am a teacher from the United States (high school English). I came here from teaching in the United States for 7 years, and I've been here 4.

Definitely, the educational system is different than the States. You need to be careful of going with "reputation" or cost because some places are "good to attend" just because of the name and not the quality of education.

I can speak for the place I worked, the International School of Santo Domingo. It's located in Arroyo Hondo, and the director is Ms. Bernadette Blenk, phone 809-732-0880. This school is bi-lingual and in the elementary focuses largely in English. The children will also have Spanish classes, but usually their core class (homeroom and teacher) will be English speaking from the States. There will be some changes in teachers this coming school year (2010-2011), but you can ask these questions from the Director directly. She's very pleasant over the phone.

The quality of education at this school is very good. The standards are high, and the students learn through Whole Language, which uses all the subjects to teach, not just math in math and science in science. The teachers are constantly challenged to set high standards for students, and there's a population who have come from the States and find the material that's being taught at ISSD more challenging than the State-side school.

This school is small, intimate. The classes will never be larger than 16 and most are smaller than this. The faculty is also intimate, so your children will receive immediate attention and help.

This school is moderately priced, in comparison with the other private schools in the city. I believe the elementary is about $110,00, middle 150,00 and high school 180,000 per year. I'm not sure about the pricing, but it's about that (in pesos of course. The current conversion rate is about 36 pesos to the dollar.)

I am no longer with International School and am starting this year at St. George. I've heard mixed information about its educational standards, especially in the elementary that is then reflected in the higher grades. It definitely is a "reputable" place to put your children (people will think you are rich, and in this country, that's something some people think is important to appear). Since I haven't taught at St. George yet, I can't recommend it as confidently as International School.

Hope this information helps. If you've already made a decision, I'm sure it'll be the best for your family. Have a great time here. I enjoy it! I'd be happy to help in anyway I can as you prepare your family for coming.
Susanne