Swamp Coolers in DR?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
After many years in DR, today I saw for the first time a Swamp Cooler for sale in a compraventa on San Vicente.

When I lived in New Mexico, my house was fitted with a Swamp Cooler and it worked great. It also uses less electricity than an air conditioner.

I always thought these types of air cooling units were ill suited for humid environments, which is why I was surprised to see one in DR.

I would be very happy to hear of anybody's experience with Swamp Coolers in DR?

Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that these are called Texas Coolers here, also. There are a few of them around.
Trouble is, Dominicans like COLD a/c and these coolers only go down between 5 and 10 degrees F from ambient temps..It is a big difference but apparently not sufficient for many people...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Trouble is, Dominicans like COLD a/c and these coolers only go down between 5 and 10 degrees F from ambient temps..It is a big difference but apparently not sufficient for many people...

HB
No kidding.

It had to be under 70 degreesF in La Sirena in Santiago last Sunday afternoon...I haven't been that cool inside a building in years...

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

Ten degrees drop in temperature seems to be very comfortable for sleeping at night.

Maybe I'll try it out.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
No kidding.

It had to be under 70 degreesF in La Sirena in Santiago last Sunday afternoon...I haven't been that cool inside a building in years...

I wish the La Sirena in my neck of the woods would follow the Santiago example. It must have been +80 degrees F when I was shopping yesterday.