What Is The Outlook For The $RD?..

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
W/ the elections coming in May, what are your thoughts of the direction of the $RD thereafter? I am thinking more devaluation with the billion in increased borrowings. What is your intermediate to long term outlook? It's amazing how the RD$5 million peso exemption on property taxes captured homes as high as $300,000USD 10 years ago. Today, around $139,000USD. That is a real devaluation. What would happen if the RD$ significantly strengthened against the USD? Home values would drop drastically in terms of the $RD, but not necessarily against the USD. Ok, I know-you can stop laughing about that last bit.

DRinvestor785

Dec 13, 2009
Outlook for RD Peso

The report above was done in early 2009 when economists were very pessimistic (remeber, Lehman had only toppled a few months before, economists were shaking in their boots far more so than most of us who didn't grasp the full implications of the news). Projections for GDP and the peso were very bad for 2009/2010 and now that we have the luxury of hindsight we can confirm that they were off.

A new report that I found was written in Feb. 2010 so it's, at least more recent, likely not any more correct with forecasts, as we've found that even the most respected economists (i.e. The Economist Intelligence Unit, as quoted above), are making "crystal ball" predictions (educated "crystal ball" predictions, mind you) but still guesses, when providing forecasts.

http://overons.rabobank.com/content/images/Dominican%20Republic-201002_tcm64-74960.pdf

Reactions: AlterEgo

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Dollar is in pretty good shape, better now that Venezuela finally agreed to buy 49% of the shares in Refidomsa. That means about US$200.00 MM that won't have to go out from the DR's economy due to oil debt, added to the fact that Valdez Albizu is still running the Central Bank.

I predict the Peso's value will be in pretty good shape at least until 2012.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The report above was done in early 2009 when economists were very pessimistic (remeber, Lehman had only toppled a few months before, economists were shaking in their boots far more so than most of us who didn't grasp the full implications of the news). Projections for GDP and the peso were very bad for 2009/2010 and now that we have the luxury of hindsight we can confirm that they were off.

A new report that I found was written in Feb. 2010 so it's, at least more recent, likely not any more correct with forecasts, as we've found that even the most respected economists (i.e. The Economist Intelligence Unit, as quoted above), are making "crystal ball" predictions (educated "crystal ball" predictions, mind you) but still guesses, when providing forecasts.

http://overons.rabobank.com/content/images/Dominican%20Republic-201002_tcm64-74960.pdf

Thanks for sharing that report - interesting.

AE

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
The government is spending money like a drunken sailor on the elections. You should expect a devaluation after the elections in May. 40 pesos to buck wouldn't surprise me. The price of beer will go up, that is certain.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Definitely looks like the peso will be devalued large after the elections. 40-45? The IMF wants that devaluation.

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Peso Devaluation

To try and estimate with some factual data behind it would require running a regression on FX rates changes to election years, specifically those with changes in regimes, i mean government.

What I do believe though is that regardless of elections, with the amount of debt being taken on by the government, the peso will at some point devalue. I would say 40-45 would be a floor, but this range is not based on empirical data. The facts are irrefutable though, when a country loads up on debt in such a short amount of time, has high corruption, and limited natural resources with which to generate excess Revenue to pay down debt, the only place for the currency to go is down as the country strangles itself with higher taxes to try and pay down debt, while at the same time likely printing more money to cover bloated budgets. (i.e. inflation).

In simple terms, if the DR was personified, he/she would have poor credit, a crappy job being paid in deteriorating currency, no security, no savings, a huge mortgage, and personality disorder where he/she only does "good" at the tail end of 4 years and can't seem to learn from mistakes, that doing well for the people, does well for the country, and even does well for the corrupt crooks running it.

I would suggest holding a basket of currencies in order to hedge against peso devaluation. e.g. 33% US 33% EURO 33% Pesos if possible.

just my 2 cents.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best protection, if at all possible, is to have in your hands only the poses needed to meet immediate needs

If you have income from sources outside of the DR, keep it on deposit in a bank in your own country and draw out what you need as you need it via ATM or personal check cashed by the banco de cambio that you have established a relationship with.

E

engineerfg

As a note to other expats who are for example renting in DR, it appears many landlords try to quote their prices in USD and sign their agreements in USD.

Given the potential currencly flux (and regardless of it), push as I did to sign your deal in RD pesos. They will/should sign it!

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
I am still looking for $RD 40-45 by the end of this year. Any new thoughts about the direction of the peso in the next 6 months?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
All speculations. I find it amusing how some people think they are experts on money issues. There are no signs of where the peso will go. The world has been a crazy place in the last 2 years and the USA shows no sign of recovery....so my guess is the peso will remain the same. But what do I know, I'm no expert.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I am still looking for $RD 40-45 by the end of this year. Any new thoughts about the direction of the peso in the next 6 months?

It won't happen, the Central Bank won't let that happen, they have a really strong internal economy, Venezuela Oil Dollars are a really big help and push in the exchange rate. You won't have any problem at all until 2012.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Well if the CB in DR has a 'strong economy' and can ultimately control the direction of their currency, then they could also start pairing down their pending external debts and reliance on the same. This is simply not happening at the moment. Again, there are prognostications and then there is the reality of the situation.