Looking for your help - again - PLEASE???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Hi People!

About four years ago, I discovered this website and as my partner, Tina and I were hoping to move out to the DR permanently, I did a great deal of investigation on the web and corresponded with a number of you ? all of whom I found to be extremely friendly and helpful. I carefully cut and pasted all the emails of advice I got from you and saved them all to a file on my computer, along with all the web addresses of the various sites I had discovered ? or been directed to by you ? on which I had found something relevant to our plans.

You can see it coming, can?t you?.? Tina is disabled and just as our plans were coming together, she took a fall which necessitated an operation and what has proved to be years of recovery AND, yes, something went wrong with my computer that meant even my techy friend couldn?t save the files! At first, I cursed the Lords of the Universe that just before our plans to move out to the DR came to fruition, Tina had her accident but being the eternal optimist, I now think it a Good Thing that it happened when it did rather than when we had just moved out there! I also figure that if I DID have all the contact details of the people who were so helpful on this site, I might upset a lot of them by writing again after all this time ? ?Hi Janet and John?.? could produce the reply ??Janet left me ages ago?!? or ??I got fed up helping people who asked too many damn silly questions?? or the like so maybe it?s best if I just start again? I can?t even remember my username so I have had to re-register!

Anyway, the last few years have taken their toll and the occasional ?senior moments? I used to suffer from have now started to roll into one (as my two son?s take great delight in telling me!). I have therefore managed to successfully forget everything I managed to find out about moving to the DR to live so have to start again completely from scratch. I have read through the threads on the site (why can?t I sort them into date order so I can read the most recent first?) and found lots of links to other sites giving tons of information and I WILL bring myself back up to speed but there are some pressing issues I would really appreciate your help with in the meantime?

? Tina and I are arriving in Florida on 24th. April 2010. We intend to spend a couple of weeks there before coming down to the DR again. Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to get there? Can we get a ship from somewhere or can we fly down from one of Florida?s airports? We will be hiring a car from Sanford so that would be the easiest place for us to travel from if possible?
?We want to investigate the north of the DR so which would be the best port/airport to come to (assuming we have a choice)?
? We want to spend about 3 months in the DR this time and car hire for that period seems expensive. Is it cheaper (and easy?) to buy a car and sell it again when we have to leave? If not, does anyone know a cheap longer-term rental company we could get in touch with?
? Our plan is to rent a small flat or the like whilst we are there. Can anyone suggest anything they might know of? Failing that, can you suggest a cheap motel or something that we could use for a couple of nights whilst we find somewhere more ?permanent? for our stay?
? Would any of you be willing to let us buy you dinner one night in May/June 2010 in return for allowing us to pick your brains?

Finally, I know I?ve used the word ?cheap? a few times here but it?s only because of our current financial situation which will change considerably at the end of this year so please don?t think us cheapskates! We may support Spurs but it?s not true ? honest!

Any help any of you feel able to give would be very much appreciated and book you a place at our first dinner party when we finally achieve our goal!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi People!

About four years ago, I discovered this website and as my partner, Tina and I were hoping to move out to the DR permanently, I did a great deal of investigation on the web and corresponded with a number of you ? all of whom I found to be extremely friendly and helpful. I carefully cut and pasted all the emails of advice I got from you and saved them all to a file on my computer, along with all the web addresses of the various sites I had discovered ? or been directed to by you ? on which I had found something relevant to our plans.

You can see it coming, can?t you?.? Tina is disabled and just as our plans were coming together, she took a fall which necessitated an operation and what has proved to be years of recovery AND, yes, something went wrong with my computer that meant even my techy friend couldn?t save the files! At first, I cursed the Lords of the Universe that just before our plans to move out to the DR came to fruition, Tina had her accident but being the eternal optimist, I now think it a Good Thing that it happened when it did rather than when we had just moved out there! I also figure that if I DID have all the contact details of the people who were so helpful on this site, I might upset a lot of them by writing again after all this time ? ?Hi Janet and John?.? could produce the reply ??Janet left me ages ago?!? or ??I got fed up helping people who asked too many damn silly questions?? or the like so maybe it?s best if I just start again? I can?t even remember my username so I have had to re-register!

Anyway, the last few years have taken their toll and the occasional ?senior moments? I used to suffer from have now started to roll into one (as my two son?s take great delight in telling me!). I have therefore managed to successfully forget everything I managed to find out about moving to the DR to live so have to start again completely from scratch. I have read through the threads on the site (why can?t I sort them into date order so I can read the most recent first?) and found lots of links to other sites giving tons of information and I WILL bring myself back up to speed but there are some pressing issues I would really appreciate your help with in the meantime?

? Tina and I are arriving in Florida on 24th. April 2010. We intend to spend a couple of weeks there before coming down to the DR again. Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to get there? Can we get a ship from somewhere or can we fly down from one of Florida?s airports? We will be hiring a car from Sanford so that would be the easiest place for us to travel from if possible?
?We want to investigate the north of the DR so which would be the best port/airport to come to (assuming we have a choice)?
? We want to spend about 3 months in the DR this time and car hire for that period seems expensive. Is it cheaper (and easy?) to buy a car and sell it again when we have to leave? If not, does anyone know a cheap longer-term rental company we could get in touch with?
? Our plan is to rent a small flat or the like whilst we are there. Can anyone suggest anything they might know of? Failing that, can you suggest a cheap motel or something that we could use for a couple of nights whilst we find somewhere more ?permanent? for our stay?
? Would any of you be willing to let us buy you dinner one night in May/June 2010 in return for allowing us to pick your brains?

Finally, I know I?ve used the word ?cheap? a few times here but it?s only because of our current financial situation which will change considerably at the end of this year so please don?t think us cheapskates! We may support Spurs but it?s not true ? honest!

Any help any of you feel able to give would be very much appreciated and book you a place at our first dinner party when we finally achieve our goal!

I remember you, Colin, and your email address is still in my Contacts list but, sadly, the emails we exchanged are long gone.

Sorry to hear that your plans had to be scuppered in view of Tina's accident in addition to her disability but, as they say, '**** happens' but it is good to know that you still want to 'follow your dream' to the DR.

PM me to start all over again if you wish... always willing to give any help and advice from our experiences - mostly good ones I am pleased to say.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
•Tina and I are arriving in Florida on 24th. April 2010. We intend to spend a couple of weeks there before coming down to the DR again. Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to get there? Can we get a ship from somewhere or can we fly down from one of Florida’s airports? We will be hiring a car from Sanford so that would be the easiest place for us to travel from if possible?

Not sure about a ship from the airport that has flights to the north of the DR from FL is Miami. American flies to Puerto Plata and Santiago. Santiago however is 1.5 hours (roughly) away from the north coast.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I'm quite sure that you will get tons of help from people - I'd like to give three pieces of advice at the risk of sounding patronizing.

First one is to really listen and take in what people are telling you. You may hear a lot of generalizations and possibly be tempted to think you might know better (as some previous forum threads have shown) but the reality is that advice from people who have lived in the DR for some time is invaluable, so put away any rosy tinted glasses if you are prone to wearing them at times (as we all are) and take heed.

Secondly, be very careful where you choose to buy property. Both Title issues and security issues should be a major concern. Before buying anything (even if you have fallen in love with it) check with other people what they think of where and what you might buy, who are in no way connected with the financial transaction, before proceeding to purchase.

Lastly, I would not buy a car in those first two months; perhaps base yourself in somewhere like Cabarete or Sosua where pretty much everything you need to buy and/or arrange is within walking distance. Depending on your wife's disability, the gua gua or publico's are a very cheap option for getting about when you need to travel.

Good luck Colin.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i believe there are daily flights between miami and POP (puerto plata airport). there are also flights to santiago (about 70km from puerto plata).
POP will be better if you want to stay on the north coast.
there are few car rental companies at the airport - i have never rented a car here so i cannot say whether they are any good or what the prices may be. you can also get a taxi from the airport to the city. prices (in US dollars) are clearly displayed on a huge board right in front of a taxi stand.
buying a car for three months may be too much hassle and a big expense.
i would recommend getting a good lawyer to help you out with some formalities regarding purchases (car) and rentals (apartment) just to be on a safe side.
a lot would depend on tina's disability. does she need a big car to move around? ground floor accommodation without any stairs? does she need to stay close to a hospital in case of any problems?
apartment rental would send you probably at 300 dollars a month. variables are location and size.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your best flights are AJet Blue and Spirit out of Ft Lauderdale. To Santiago. From there transportation is easy.
I will put my vote to not renting or buying a vehicle duringthis trip. The negatives are too many. And public transportation will (1) teach you how to get around on the cheap, (2) Force you to use your horrific Spanish, and (3) Show you how real people live. Public transport is cheap and easy to learn, and you will enjoy it. Just be sure that you wash under your arms and put on some really nice cologne. If you smell "European-style" , they will let you know it.

There are enough folks up on the North Coast to set you straight, and if you need help inland, I am pretty sure we can make sure you do not get lost...

Welcome back.

HB

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
You can fly from Orlando (probably closest to SANFORD, FL), Tampa etc...issue becomes a STOP (most likely in Puerto Rico)....whatever savings you think you make in trip planning will be spent in "car hire" and time.

FLL to SDQ direct on Spirit has always worked for me...the also go to STI now too

Good luck!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I will put my vote to not renting or buying a vehicle duringthis trip. The negatives are too many. And public transportation will (1) teach you how to get around on the cheap, (2) Force you to use your horrific Spanish, and (3) Show you how real people live. Public transport is cheap and easy to learn, and you will enjoy it. Just be sure that you wash under your arms and put on some really nice cologne. If you smell "European-style" , they will let you know it.

+1 Don Luis

Status
Not open for further replies.