I wanna move to the Dom Rep

Apr 7, 2010
heya. i wanna live in the dom rep. i'm thinking off moving there next year....... i can rent to start with but would really like to buy a place .....i live in the uk now....... i'm a single mum of one 14 year old, who will need to go to school..... any ideas on schoosl? or estate agents i can trust?....i wanna live in the north and wanna mix in with the locals...... i have about ?50,000 to spend on a place which i wanna buy outright, then i wanna know how much it is to live per month just a normal life nothing fancy including food and bills etc for 2 people..... any help or advice anyone can offer would be good. thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey get in line...we all want to move down there (with enough money of course).

Just do a search on this forum. Topic has been discussed ad nauseam, including estimated expenses to live a decent life and what to do when you realize the guy you're moving to The DR and uprooting your life and kid for has 12 other women on the side in addition to you (including his real wife with whom he probably has several kids), which you'll be supporting BTW...

Read up...

Apr 7, 2010
im not moving for the sake of a man, so theres no need for anyone else to bring this point up. as far as i can see i didnt give any indication that this was the case.

if anyone else wants to reply can you just answer the questions ive asked or give information thats helpful.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
unfortunately what suarezn has written is generally the case. as a western female in the DR, life isn't particularly easy, so be careful. women generally last about 6 months.

there was one woman who moved to near santiago and then went back to NYC right around the 6 month mark, maybe someone can post a reference to her posts so you can read her story.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Rent, do not buy.

You will be sacrificing standard of living for quality of life - so it is a good deal, all in all.

Do not get ripped off by other Gringos - especially on the North Coast.

Let nobody know what , how much or why you have what you have.

You can do what you want here but people can do what they want to you.

Read Lambada's book.

Make sure you keep on top of the schooling - going to school is not the same as getting an education here.

Work pays almost nothing here.

Bring tea bags.

Stay out of the sun as much as possible.

Learn Spanish.

There is no effective law or lawful redress.

Be very selective about who you sleep with.

Trust nobody with anything you value.

Become a hard person psychologically.

Burn no bridges back home.

Be nice to people.

Be very wary of trite advice from posters on the various D.R. fora.

Enjoy.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
....i live in the uk now....... i'm a single mum of one 14 year old, who will need to go to school..... any ideas on schoosl? or estate agents i can trust?....i wanna live in the north and wanna mix in with the locals......

It's good to want to do something. It's even better to know exactly how you want to do it. I have to ask; "why?" , "why the DR?", "why in particular, the North Coast?" and lastly but most importantly "can you put this dream of yours off for a few years and do you really wish to uproot your 14 year old?"

It's hard enough being a teenager and it's even harder when you have to move, changing friends, schools and routines. This difficulty expands by an order of magnitude when you consider that almost noone where you're going speaks your native language or understands the culture in which you've been raised all your life.

Is this child a boy or a girl? There's no way I'd bring my teenage Daughters within 150 miles of the DR for a visit, let alone to live. Let's just say there are hardships in the DR which don't plague a lot of other Caribbean destinations. I went to Santo Domingo with my Son a couple times but he was in his late 20's and still barely managed to hold on to his sanity. I can just imagine him having tried to stay focused on his scholastic and extracurricular endeavors if he'd been exposed to the DR as a full time resident during his teens.

It's not that I'm questioning your judgement here but I am curious as to why you decided on this place and at this time in the development of your child.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Rent, do not buy.

You will be sacrificing standard of living for quality of life - so it is a good deal, all in all.

Do not get ripped off by other Gringos - especially on the North Coast.

Let nobody know what , how much or why you have what you have.

You can do what you want here but people can do what they want to you.

Read Lambada's book.

Make sure you keep on top of the schooling - going to school is not the same as getting an education here.

Work pays almost nothing here.

Bring tea bags.

Stay out of the sun as much as possible.

Learn Spanish.

There is no effective law or lawful redress.

Be very selective about who you sleep with.

Trust nobody with anything you value.

Become a hard person psychologically.

Burn no bridges back home.

Be nice to people.

Be very wary of trite advice from posters on the various D.R. fora.

Enjoy.

Great post - was not allowed to give you rep points - sorry. But you did miss out the most important thing..................

BRING PARSNIPS

matilda

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Great post - was not allowed to give you rep points - sorry. But you did miss out the most important thing..................

BRING PARSNIPS

matilda

Warning! Off topic post and referring to a different thread....please delete as necessary..

When somebody tells me I cannot do something then that is like a red flag to a bull. Especially when it involves Sunday dinner!
And especially when I have nowt better to do!

I bet you a jam tart I can raise parsnips in the D.R.

I just need to find the opposite of a greenhouse and some parsnip seeds - or better still some parsnips a bit past their sell by date.

This could make me famous - the parsnip whisperer....

I shall report back presently.....

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Sorry Lambada but one doesn't live without parsnips nor kippers for that matter kippers,one exists. Actually some 0of the teabags here are not at all bad!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe i should not speak out here as i am not a mother but i do oppose this attitude that once a woman has spawned a child she is a slave to it and always has to sacrifice.
if this move is going to bring happiness to the OP then why not? happy mother means happy child, not?

back to the first post: you can buy a house for 50k pounds and even less but i would recommend renting first so that you can figure out where exactly you want to live.
north coast is not good place when it comes to schooling. even the best school would not match education level in the UK. the closest decent university is in santiago (in here kids start uni at 16-17).
cost of living would depend on lifestyle but 1000 british pounds a month for the two of you would be plenty.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sorry Lambada but one doesn't live without parsnips nor kippers for that matter kippers,one exists. Actually some 0of the teabags here are not at all bad!

Well, I never drink tea so ;)..............himself does & he has bags brought from UK. You realise that i wanna live in DR is asking for substantive advice & what she's primarily getting is a litany of UK expat withdrawal symptoms.....:laugh: Let's hope she can extrapolate.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

Mods - Again - off topic - please delete as necessary..

She can probably extrapolate that the English folk who post on this forum are largely insane....in the nicest possible way.

(You can get kippers in Haiti, curiously enough.)

And Lipton's Breakfast Tea is not tea - what else have you found?
I have a 2 month supply of Yorkshire Tea courtesy of my mum when she visited, but after that what would you suggest?
The clock is ticking.....

So to the OP - come and live here happily ever after - but bring me some tea.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
heya. i wanna live in the dom rep. .... i'm a single mum of one 14 year old, who will need to go to school..... any ideas on schoosl?

May I invite you to read a last week's thread:
Relocating to the DR in 2011 - all info is appreciated!

May not be exactly like your case, but there is ONE similitude, which worries me: You bringing a 14 year old to a country with mainly poor to barely average education and very few opportunities for a 14 year old to develop towards a good future.

Don't get me wrong, I like it here, and I think it CAN be a great country for middle aged folks and certainly may be nice for healthy and flexible aging retirees... but for a kid in the midst of the age at which it's studies and subsequent first business or employment opportunities may hold the key to it's adult future???
What future do you envision for you 14 year old?

Don't forget, most who could would wish they could send their kid OUT of here for studies and a better future.

... J-D.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Once again, someones 1st post is about moving to the DR? Strange, if not unbelievable.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

I bet you a jam tart I can raise parsnips in the D.R.

Perish the thought that I could be a gambling woman :cheeky: but I'll raise your jam tart by an iced bun, you tamer of the environment, you parsnip whisperer (and while you're whispering, watch that 2 men in white coats don't..........well, you know).

Once again, someones 1st post is about moving to the DR? Strange, if not unbelievable.

We hear ya, Luperon. Which probably accounts for the.............er.......slightly catatonic flavour of some of the responses ;).

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hello 'I wanna'. I would like to be positive & give you some information/advice but to do this in a meaningful manner/way I would need to know a few more answers/facts.

We all heard very clearly what YOU 'WANNA' do but what does your 14 year old 'Wanna Do'? Have you discussed this with him/her?

Do you 'wanna' work when you get here or are you independently secure with a monthly income in excess of ?1,000?

Do you speak Spanish yet?

Have you made some friends over here yet or are you looking to try & find friends on this forum? :ermm:

What research have you done outside of this forum to get culturally prepared to live in the DR?

Your responses to these questions will greatly enhance our abilities to help you with correct information. WANNA Try It? ~ Grahame.

Reactions: rio2003

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I do recommend Ceylan tea packed by Cotterly as a very reasonable substitute for Yorkshire tea bags, at 7 in the morning with a raging thirst, provided you've had the patience to let it mash for a good 5 minutes. Any knowledge or wise tips anyone about the bloaters sold here?

Apologies moderator if this is too way off topic, I'll try and curb myself in the future!