Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residency

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Residency

Anyone know how long it takes for Temp Residency to be approved once you finish the application process? Is it better to apply here in the States through the Dominican Embassy to to wait unitl you are living in country?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rbh44 View Post
    Anyone know how long it takes for Temp Residency to be approved once you finish the application process? Is it better to apply here in the States through the Dominican Embassy to to wait unitl you are living in country?
    Once the application has been submitted it takes about 6 months and no you can not apply in the states.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/8712...uzman-way.html

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

rhb, there are those who question the value of obtaining a residency. I am in the process of getting my permanent visa, so obviously I decided to go through with the process (now in its 8 month).

However, when reviewing the cost/benefit ratio, I wonder if I made the correct choice. In other words, I could pay the fine (fee) twice a year for 15-20 years and still not break even.

Admittedly, I hired a lawyer to do the "work", but even at that, I doubt I will be much ahead of the game when all is said and done.

At this point, I look at it this way, I would be much better off paying the RD$1000-$1500 peso fee each time I travel to the US than I am paying the lawyer $2000 US to get a permanent visa.

And that does not include all the aggravation and hassle of "jumping through the hoops" and dealing with all the Dominican 'bottles'.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reasoning

Hey Catcher,

The big plus in residency is being able to import your household goods tax free. If my understanding is correct once you have residency you can do that. That would save a lot of money. I could rent unfurnished, which is much cheaper, and not have to buy all the furniture. That would certainly cost more than the shipping considering what I have and the cost of some things there. $2000 is a lot of money for lawyer's fees so I may have to do all that myself. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

All you need is an international driver's license, which can be obtained through any AAA office for $15 US.

International Driving Permits

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    All you need is an international driver's license, which can be obtained through any AAA office for $15 US.

Someone once told me the AAA international license is only valid if you are in the country legally- meaning not when you have overstayed your tourist visa. Not sure the accuracy of this statement but if true, it is of no value to some.
    We must do our own homework.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post

Benefits / How it Works

*****If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.*****

How to properly use the document
    - Driving as a tourist in any place of the world, you can present your current valid driver license, plus the International Driver Document (IDD Booklet plus the card) to facilitate the understanding of your permit to any local authority.

- This translation is valid for up to three years, but it canít be used for more than a year in the same country, or once the driver establishes a residence there. If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.

- Remember, the IDD is only a translation of a driverís license and not a regular driverís license. The IDD, without a currently valid driving permit is not a useful or valid document to present to any authority.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Documents

hi, I,m new here on this forum,
    short story, I was born in Germany and live the last 25 years in Canada, so my birth certificate is from Germany but I have an hart time to get the document approved from the Dominican Consulate that it is original, I send it out 7 month ago to the DR Consulat in germany and still have no answer yet, I travel now for 8 years min. 6 times a year to bavaro where I own a condo, now with 55 I like to go or stay longer and maybe retire there, anyway the other papers I need I can get here in Canada, there are so many different stories about to get the DR citizenship, its quiet confusing, any help ty

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Benefits / How it Works

*****If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.*****

How to properly use the document
    - Driving as a tourist in any place of the world, you can present your current valid driver license, plus the International Driver Document (IDD Booklet plus the card) to facilitate the understanding of your permit to any local authority.

- This translation is valid for up to three years, but it canít be used for more than a year in the same country, or once the driver establishes a residence there. If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.

- Remember, the IDD is only a translation of a driverís license and not a regular driverís license. The IDD, without a currently valid driving permit is not a useful or valid document to present to any authority.
    Isn't it true if you want to own and insure a car you must have your residency also?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you overstay your tourist visa you are in the country illegally. If you have an accident while driving...illegally...you are in a world of hurt, and you have no insurance coverage whether you paid for a policy or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast