Residency

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Anyone know how long it takes for Temp Residency to be approved once you finish the application process? Is it better to apply here in the States through the Dominican Embassy to to wait unitl you are living in country?

Mar 2, 2008
rhb, there are those who question the value of obtaining a residency. I am in the process of getting my permanent visa, so obviously I decided to go through with the process (now in its 8 month).

However, when reviewing the cost/benefit ratio, I wonder if I made the correct choice. In other words, I could pay the fine (fee) twice a year for 15-20 years and still not break even.

Admittedly, I hired a lawyer to do the "work", but even at that, I doubt I will be much ahead of the game when all is said and done.

At this point, I look at it this way, I would be much better off paying the RD$1000-$1500 peso fee each time I travel to the US than I am paying the lawyer $2000 US to get a permanent visa.

And that does not include all the aggravation and hassle of "jumping through the hoops" and dealing with all the Dominican 'bottles'.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Reasoning

Hey Catcher,

The big plus in residency is being able to import your household goods tax free. If my understanding is correct once you have residency you can do that. That would save a lot of money. I could rent unfurnished, which is much cheaper, and not have to buy all the furniture. That would certainly cost more than the shipping considering what I have and the cost of some things there. $2000 is a lot of money for lawyer's fees so I may have to do all that myself. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
All you need is an international driver's license, which can be obtained through any AAA office for $15 US.

International Driving Permits

Someone once told me the AAA international license is only valid if you are in the country legally- meaning not when you have overstayed your tourist visa. Not sure the accuracy of this statement but if true, it is of no value to some.
We must do our own homework.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
All you need is an international driver's license, which can be obtained through any AAA office for $15 US.

International Driving Permits

Benefits / How it Works

*****If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.*****

How to properly use the document
- Driving as a tourist in any place of the world, you can present your current valid driver license, plus the International Driver Document (IDD Booklet plus the card) to facilitate the understanding of your permit to any local authority.

- This translation is valid for up to three years, but it can?t be used for more than a year in the same country, or once the driver establishes a residence there. If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.

- Remember, the IDD is only a translation of a driver?s license and not a regular driver?s license. The IDD, without a currently valid driving permit is not a useful or valid document to present to any authority.

Bigdog

Mar 29, 2010
Documents

hi, I,m new here on this forum,
short story, I was born in Germany and live the last 25 years in Canada, so my birth certificate is from Germany but I have an hart time to get the document approved from the Dominican Consulate that it is original, I send it out 7 month ago to the DR Consulat in germany and still have no answer yet, I travel now for 8 years min. 6 times a year to bavaro where I own a condo, now with 55 I like to go or stay longer and maybe retire there, anyway the other papers I need I can get here in Canada, there are so many different stories about to get the DR citizenship, its quiet confusing, any help ty

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Benefits / How it Works

*****If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.*****

How to properly use the document
- Driving as a tourist in any place of the world, you can present your current valid driver license, plus the International Driver Document (IDD Booklet plus the card) to facilitate the understanding of your permit to any local authority.

- This translation is valid for up to three years, but it can?t be used for more than a year in the same country, or once the driver establishes a residence there. If the driver lives or stays in a country, the motorist must apply for a local driving permit.

- Remember, the IDD is only a translation of a driver?s license and not a regular driver?s license. The IDD, without a currently valid driving permit is not a useful or valid document to present to any authority.

Isn't it true if you want to own and insure a car you must have your residency also?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you overstay your tourist visa you are in the country illegally. If you have an accident while driving...illegally...you are in a world of hurt, and you have no insurance coverage whether you paid for a policy or not.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If you overstay your tourist visa you are in the country illegally. If you have an accident while driving...illegally...you are in a world of hurt, and you have no insurance coverage whether you paid for a policy or not.

that's exactly the important point on the different 'interpretations', Robert.
nothing,
no drivers license, no car insurance etc etc etc is valid for an illegal alien in the country.
to extend the stay as a visitor/turist legally the Tourist Visa needs to get extended before it expired, not when exiting the country after a long time period/several years etc.
yes, i know that it is still done, people leave and pay a fine on exit.
and yes, i also know that long years overstayers do not just pay the fine printed on the ''extention'' list at immigrations, ahead of that rate they pay the ''interests'' for the sum they owe the gubmin since they overstayed their Visa, b/c by law they have to pay the extention time before the Visa expired.
a 10 years overstayer may get asked for a few K's US$ as the final Bill's total, it still varies depending at which counter of immigrations such excessive overstaying get's caught.
some may also want to check their medical insurance in the fine print details to find out if it would still be valid/cover in case the person had an accident/illness etc while living illegally in the country.

and an other situation would be if someone without a valid tourist card nor residency get's in some kinda trouble ottha on the streets, maybe a lil fist fight or similar, Cops step by and take all involved in custody for interrogations, they find one of the involved subject has no legal papers at hand, and 'hopp', away he goes on the Truck to the deportations prison and somewhen later back to home sweet home. and those backflight tickets are not available as great last minute deals by Apple Vacations etc.

i know here in the Bavaro area several long year expats who live and work down here without a residency, and none did pay any extention fees for their long years old tourist visa. a lawyer will deny to run their process of getting a residency, to do so they need to provide their passport with the ''stamp'' and Visa card included.
and to get such stamp is today's not as easy than it has been years ago where such could be done for a few thousand pesos.
time is running out and the handling of the not so new laws get's tieder
Mike