Codetel - Internet issues?

Feb 7, 2007
I have been experiencing Internet issues since yesterday evening. It was down all night, nothing went out or in. Since this morning the connection is there, but is extremely slow. Same thing at home, in the office, and other places here. I was told they have certain issues on their network and nodes. But I don't know if it is just here in Higuey or nation-wide. Anybody else with Codetel having Internet issues since yesterday evening?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We're having problems here in Punta Cana as well, and there is a thread in the North Coast forum reporting similar.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Half speed down, 1/7 speed up here in Jarabacoa...

Feb 7, 2007
Sankies must have a bad day today ... Vimenca/WU is down as well and everything is done manually. It takes about 20 minutes to process every single transaction, because phone holds to the authorization center are extremely long.

Banco Leon also without the system, account inquiries at the branch are impossible.

Also impossible is to pay the Codetel bill, system down at the main office and at dealers as well.

Well.... Codetel ... this is the result when there is virtual monopoly, most businesses have to do Internet and private lines via one and only company, and when they go down, the whole country goes down ....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Poor service will continue until a provider puts an actual high-capacity, high-speed wide ranging wireless system in place.

My guess the capital investment for that would be north of US$1 billion to serve 4,000,000 people.

Running fiber would cost even more.

Anybody wanna write a check?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Poor service will continue until a provider puts an actual high-capacity, high-speed wide ranging wireless system in place.

My guess the capital investment for that would be north of US$1 billion to serve 4,000,000 people.

Running fiber would cost even more.

Anybody wanna write a check?

Well it's not going to get any better, because you can bet that Carlos Simm is not going to be writing any checks.
You all bitched when Verizon, an GTE owned the system, but at least they invested in the infrastructure.