Buying Property

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hi. I have been doing some research and believe the two options for buying land are: (a) as individual and (b) as a corporation. I understand the advantage of corporation could be estate planning. Are there any other advantages?

Also, how many people here own as individuals versus a corporation?

Thanks in advance.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Talk to your lawyer about the benifits of having or not having a corp own your property.
I also believe besides estate planning having it in a corp protects it against a personal law suit. If you hit a moto or something even worse your property is a protected asset during a court proceedure (personal suit) as you do not "own" the property but rather it is "owned" by a corp.

Both our poroperties are in a corp (and a seperate one for each).

If you have your property in a corp when you sell it the buyer can "buy" the corp (for no money) and it's assets (the property) and avoid paying transfer tax (3%)

Again talk to your lawyer.

Bob K

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks all. I definitely plan to to talk to a lawyer when the time gets closer. I been living and working in central DR for 3 years and wish to plant some roots here.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thanks all. I definitely plan to to talk to a lawyer when the time gets closer. I been living and working in central DR for 3 years and wish to plant some roots here.

You want to have a serious and knowledgeable lawyer's GUIDANCE ALL ALONG your quest in finding a property.
In other words, get the lawyer first.

... J-D.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
I think I'm just going to start following JD around and agreeing to everything he says.

Lawyers are both cheapest and most effective when used earliest in a process. Doing things right the first time is cheaper than fixing it later.

Invest in a good attorney BEFORE there is a decision made, preferably DURING the decision making process, and you stand a much better chance of avoiding or minimizing an expensive conflict.

The same is true, by the way, of a good CPA, who can advise you on structuring deals to minimize tax exposure.