Sosua in April and May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croata

Apr 10, 2010
Hy everybody ;)

I'm from Croatia and I'm coming to Sosua in couple of weeks and I'll stay there 'till the end of May...

How is the life in Sosua in April and May ? Weather ? Much rain ? Still a lot of tourists ? Fun ?

Thanks for every information that you will give to me ;)

Mar 2, 2008
The weather so far this April has been absolutely beautiful. Sunny and warm, with low humidity and light breezes.

Of course there are no guarantees, and things can change over night, but for right now, I can't think of a better place to be.

Not knowing how you define "fun", I can't really comment about that aspect of your question, but there are plenty of things to do. All you have to do is look around.

Croata

Apr 10, 2010
Not knowing how you define "fun", I can't really comment about that aspect of your question, but there are plenty of things to do. All you have to do is look around.

Thanks for the fast answer catch :)

When I asked for fun, I ment by that to ask if the bars and restaurants, clubs etc. open as they are in a full season time...

Do you live in Sosua during the all year ? Are you Dominican or ex-pat ?

Mar 2, 2008
I live in Sosua year 'round, as an ex-pat, and all the restaurants and other establishments stay open throughout the year. There is some "comings and goings", as certain establishments change hands, but, all in all, things are fairly stable.

It can get hot and humid here during the summer months, but I was here during the past two summers, and it wasn't really that bad. I just took a dip in the ocean or pool, retreated to an A/C room for an hour or two, stayed hydrated, and everything was good to go.

Croata

Apr 10, 2010
Thanks again catcher ;)

Are there lot of mosquitos...? Last time when I was in Santo Domingo area, two years ago, they killed me, they didn't care for OFF or any other spray :D

As I can read here, there are lot of ex-pat living in Sosua... From which part of the world are they mostly, USA or Europe ? How about groceries... is it possible to buy there Mediterannean / European vegetables...? How are the prices in bars... beer, wine, juices...?

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
i cant tell you about the european vegetables..

but i can tell you that there ARE mosquitos in sosua !!!

and ALL of them find me when i am in town. they send messages to each other as soon as i land at the airport, and they wait for me in my room every night !!!

perhaps you can take some of them for me as i will be there again, at the end of april though the first week of may.

enjoy your trip !!

what hotel have you chosen?

Croata

Apr 10, 2010
i cant tell you about the european vegetables..

but i can tell you that there ARE mosquitos in sosua !!!

and ALL of them find me when i am in town. they send messages to each other as soon as i land at the airport, and they wait for me in my room every night !!!

perhaps you can take some of them for me as i will be there again, at the end of april though the first week of may.

enjoy your trip !!

what hotel have you chosen?

Great! :D So what do you use to defend yourself ? OFF spray, a gun, a bomb...?! :D

I rented an apartment at El rancho hotel...they gave me good deal and it looks likea good place on good position.

Where do you come from ?

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
i come down from ohio, u.s.a.

this will be my 5th trip

for the mosquitos... seem to never be a problem during daytime, just like at home. nor at night around the bars and restuarants. only an issue when i come back to my hotel.

on my most recent trip, i tried using citronella candles in my room... but they were powerless. this time i will try using a spray on repellant, and hope it works.

Croata

Apr 10, 2010

this will be my 5th trip

So,it seems that you like Sosua pretty much, inspite of mosquitos :D

Why do you like Sosua ? Is it so good that you come for the 5th time ?

What would you recomend about Sosua if somebody asks you ? Sorry if I'm asking too much, but this is my first travel there, so everything is interesting for me... Thanks! :)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Only cure to being bitten by mosquitos is to live here permanantly as they seem to get bored after a while and then leave you alone!!

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
So,it seems that you like Sosua pretty much, inspite of mosquitos :D

Why do you like Sosua ? Is it so good that you come for the 5th time ?

What would you recomend about Sosua if somebody asks you ? Sorry if I'm asking too much, but this is my first travel there, so everything is interesting for me... Thanks! :)

personally.. i come to sosua for the atmosphere. the women. the beach. the laid back way of life. the "no rush" attitude. i really enjoy trying all the different restaurants, as i love to cook, and love good food.

i have been to the north coast 4 times. twice by myself or with a friend, and twice with my family. and i have zero problems recommending it to other poeple.... and i do quite often.

i enjoy that its a melting pot of dominicans, haitians, germans, french, canadians, and americans. both tourists, locals, and expats. the expat community is very nice (at least those that i have met) as are the locals.

and of course.. i love the rum :)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
i enjoy that its a melting pot of dominicans, haitians, germans, french, canadians, and americans. both tourists, locals, and expats. the expat community is very nice (at least those that i have met) as are the locals.

and of course.. i love the rum :)

So are the British!!!!!

Croata

Apr 10, 2010
Thanks for all the informations guys...

This morning I woke up at 5 o'clock, planing to have dinner in Sosua tonight, came to the airport... all flights canceled because of volcano eruption on Iceland :D It was sleeping last 200 years and suddenly decided to wake up with an explosive eruption exactly at the moment when I have to fly :D It can happen only to me... :D

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
re:mosquitoes

I've heard, but haven't yet tried that Listerine works. Just spray around the lawn, doors, patio, self etc and they stay away. I've lived here for 2 yrs and they don't bother me much but......
Has anyone tried it? Does it work?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Mosquitos eat me alive when I am there. Mostly at dusk and after. We always sleep with the mosquito net over the bed and the fan on (power permitting) which seems to be the only thing that keeps them at bay while sleeping. That is if we are not at a hotel. If we stay at a hotel with air conditioning, etc., the mosquito net is not necessary. However, I am not sure if the hotel where you are staying has screens or just shutters and in the latter case, if you are having problems with mosquitos at night, I would recommend buying a net which you can get any any 20/10 for about 100 pesos. There is one close by in Charimicos.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Off

this will be my 5th trip

for the mosquitos... seem to never be a problem during daytime, just like at home. nor at night around the bars and restuarants. only an issue when i come back to my hotel.

on my most recent trip, i tried using citronella candles in my room... but they were powerless. this time i will try using a spray on repellant, and hope it works.

I use Deep Woods OFF. I take a small breath spray bottle, empty it and refill it with OFF ( make sure you label it in some way, LOL). Easy to carry and use at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.