living in DR

K

kimberlyindr

Hello all,

I hope everyone is well on this beautiful Saturday.

First of all, thank you to everyone who posts very helpful information about living in the Dominican Republic.

I, too will be moving there in a few months. I am a single woman, no kids, am self employed and am appreciating all the helpful hints about life there.

Several questions:

1. someone said to bring ear plugs-is it noisy at night? I am looking to live in Gazcue. How noisy is that area? I am a bit noise sensitive.

2. Do I need a temporary residence card to rent an apartment?

3. Lastly, how safe is Gazcue? I am thinking of living there due to its close proximity to the colonial zone.

4. How much is a small apartment for rent there?

Thank you all in advance,

Kimberly;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Several questions:

1. someone said to bring ear plugs-is it noisy at night? I am looking to live in Gazcue. How noisy is that area? I am a bit noise sensitive.

That someone was me. But I see you have apparently not yet answered AnnaC's question here, post 27
http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/100832-tourist-visa-process-dr-3.html

Repeated by me here, post 16
http://www.dr1.com/forums/best-dr/101845-nightlife-boyfriend-dr-2.html

I will answer the question about earplugs when I see your responses to Anna's and my question :). Although having seen your latest offering...........
post 33 here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/best-dr/101845-nightlife-boyfriend-dr-4.html

I have some reservations about the durability of both threads.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Gascue is not too loud. Actually it can be very quite at night, when taking into account that it has some "red light" activity" in some of it's sectors and is not recommended for strolls after sundown.

I think that Lambada's allusion to the prevalent phonic pollution may include (but may not be limited to) that even in inner cities you might have neighbors keeping rosters which are notorious for loosing track of time or tend to believe the moon to be a sun too, dogs which will bark 'till the cows come home (and sometimes, some will come home!) and a general ambiance filled with competing music from left and right and across the road too (not to mention the music box behind you). Add honking for the most unimaginable reasons, loud motorcycles and cabs missing the better part of their exhaust system and people discussing ALL the above over and over again under your bedroom's window. And since nobody listens, EVERYBODY talks, and since everybody talks, most try to get attention by speaking up louder, which compels those who are not paying attention anyway to speak even louder.

After looking at your other threads Lambada so graciously linked us to here (one of which I took the liberty to add some of my thoughts too), I'd suggest, that BEFORE you envision moving to a country, you owe it to yourself and your financial and physical well being, to get to know the country by VISITING it extensively over a couple of trips. Your questions, as valid as they are, seem to indicate you have not.

... J-D.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

2. Do I need a temporary residence card to rent an apartment?

3. Lastly, how safe is Gazcue? I am thinking of living there due to its close proximity to the colonial zone.

4. How much is a small apartment for rent there?

do bring airplugs. they will come in handy regardless of location.
no need for residency either to rent or even buy.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
do bring airplugs. they will come in handy regardless of location.
no need for residency either to rent or even buy.

Most of Gascue is safe enough for those night time drunken weaving ways home. Red Light activity, is mostly along Independencia anymore the other places were mostly closed down 3 years ago and never reopened.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Where do you guys live, I've never had the need of earplugs while living in SD. Granted I lived in good neighborhoods. I seriously doubt an ex-pat will move to a noisy barrio, but you never know I guess...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some parts of Gazcue can be noisy - on the busier streets and near colmados, for example.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i live in a good neighbourhood but so it happens thaat folks next door like music. i do not. they play it all day long. not loud enough to interrupt in daily activities but if i want to take a nap in the middle of the day i need ear plugs.