Question on Duty

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have an expensive watch that needed repairs. I took it with me to the states and it's being fixed. The value is approx. $3500+

If it is shipped to me by Mom CB would I have to pay duty on it? How are expensive items shipped out of the country for repair, then brought back in?

Or should I just wait for a family member to nring it as their personal possessions?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Or should I just wait for a family member to nring it as their personal possessions?

Although I have no knowledge on the duty aspect, I would err on the side of caution with an item of high value and go this route. They could even wear it coming in , in the event they got their baggage checked...thats what we did when we purchased expensive watches in Hong Kong.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I have an expensive watch that needed repairs. I took it with me to the states and it's being fixed. The value is approx. $3500+

If it is shipped to me by Mom CB would I have to pay duty on it? How are expensive items shipped out of the country for repair, then brought back in?

When you ship an expensive item out there is a customs form that can be filled out. If you ship with one of the companies like Business Mail or EPS they can assist you in filling it out.

That allows you to bring it back in duty free.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
When you ship an expensive item out there is a customs form that can be filled out. If you ship with one of the companies like Business Mail or EPS they can assist you in filling it out.

That allows you to bring it back in duty free.
Prolly leaves me out. It went out with me on the airplane.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yeah, I wouldn't worry as much about duty but a total loss.
It's unlikely that unless you declare the value (shipping insurance) they'd be able to recognize the value of a used watch... unless it's GOLD and someone realizes that. The bigger risk really is, that it gets taken because it just happens to make for a nice sparkly contrast against some custom official's wrist's tanned skin.

Besides that I don't think that it makes sense to have expensive jewelry in this country (unless one hides out exclusively in one of the country's foremost few barricaded luxury developments), I think the best way to bring it in, is on your wrist.

... J-D.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would call the local UPS at the Cibao Airport and ask them (809) 233-8160. If that's not a good number I have more.

For something this expensive I would trust them on the shipping and the info you give them.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Shipping Info

For something this expensive I would trust them on the shipping and the info you give them.

IMO, the word NOT is missing here... :tired:
We had a necklace stolen which was forwarded via CPS.
The small envelope had the word 'jewelry'on it.
Value was really low (Chinese stuff as we are poor campesinos ;) ), so not much damage done... but a nuisance.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had an expensive watch taken to US for repair too. luckily it was done in one trip: my suegra took it with her, fixed it and brought it back inside her handbag. no questions were asked, as far as i know.
if the watch has sentimental value in additional to monetary i would wait for family member to bring it, rather than ship it to DR.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Cobra you have lived here long enough to know the answer to this!.
If you have no desire to ever see the watch again, go ahead and ship it.
On the other hand if you ever want to see it again, go with the family member

Since you did not fill out the paper work, yes you would pay duty, provided that somehow you are extremly luck and got it back, now if you do this and get the watch back please pick my next lotto numbers for me.

Reactions: J D Sauser
Aug 21, 2007
I had lenses changed in a pair of eye glasses. The eye doctor had to ship them to me, as they were not finished in time for my departure to the DR. He sent them via FedEx. When they arrived in the DR, I was contacted by FedEx and told that I owed approximately $400 USD in duties. This was because FedEx required the eye doctor to claim a value for the item.

After arguing back and forth with FedEx, customs, and the eye doctor for several months, I realized that either I give up the glasses or pay up.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Have someone wear your watch as they return here. That's the best gamble against having to pay duties or losing the watch.

Good luck-
Lindsey

Reactions: J D Sauser

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Since you did not fill out the paper work, yes you would pay duty, provided that somehow you are extremly luck and got it back, now if you do this and get the watch back please pick my next lotto numbers for me.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I wouldn't want to be living in Jarabacoa while it's in transit via EPS, CPS etc :)

Oh yeah, put me down for those lotto numbers as well!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

I've had good luck and outstanding service with FedEx insured, picked up at the airport office. I was considering using them...except for the duty question.

I'd never consider EPS or a similar service for something like this.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I've had good luck and outstanding service with FedEx insured, picked up at the airport office. I was considering using them...except for the duty question.

I'd never consider EPS or a similar service for something like this.

I'd never consider having it shipped! But if you do, and you receive the watch, please remember the numbers I would like the Lotto here, Um Florida, and the Mega Millions Lottery, oh and powerball.

Thanks in advance.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Besides that I don't think that it makes sense to have expensive jewelry in this country (unless one hides out exclusively in one of the country's foremost few barricaded luxury developments), I think the best way to bring it in, is on your wrist.

... J-D.
I haven't worn it here.

I've had no need, nor have I wanted it to attract the ~wrong~ kind of attention.

But I've noticed lately that in certain business meetings with higher-level Dominican business circles there seems to be certain...protocols...and a sort of unspoken "uniform" code, not too dissimilar to what I encountered in the states. Lot's of Mount Blanc's, rings and wrist bling. I wouldn't wear it anywhere but in those surroundings.

Often proper assimilation comes at a cost of "blending in..."

I was hoping to avoid heavy duties to have it come back sooner. But alas...:sigh:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I haven't worn it here.

I've had no need, nor have I wanted it to attract the ~wrong~ kind of attention.

But I've noticed lately that in certain business meetings with higher-level Dominican business circles there seems to be certain...protocols...and a sort of unspoken "uniform" code, not too dissimilar to what I encountered in the states. Lot's of Mount Blanc's, rings and wrist bling. I wouldn't wear it anywhere but in those surroundings.

Often proper assimilation comes at a cost of "blending in..."

I was hoping to avoid heavy duties to have it come back sooner. But alas...:sigh:

Yeah, I know what you're alluding too. $300.oo Chacabanas tailored by Christian Lagares in Santo Domingo with CD cuff links of course, Salvatore Ferregamo moccasins, Mont Blanc pen and a matching time piece.
It's almost like you're back in the States, now isn't it, gotta show you are worth talking to? ;)

Find someone you know to bring it along from the US, on their wrist. I have NEVER been bothered about what I wore when entering this country.

... J-D.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i'd ship it out with fedex to a watch repair place in the US, then bring it back on your next trip. there's no taxes on outbound stuff, but you will get taxed on the inbound.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You gotta wear something a lot more expensive than a 3500 dollar watch in those surroundings.

Something in the 40-50K range for watches, I'd say. I know folks in gov't that wear watches worth more than they make in TEN years.....

I know one guy who does web work for the PRD, and he has at least 10 watches, none of which cost less than 50K.

That's bling...

Ironic then that they are always bloody late!!!!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yeah, I know what you're alluding too. $300.oo Chacabanas tailored by Christian Lagares in Santo Domingo with CD cuff links of course, Salvatore Ferregamo moccasins, Mont Blanc pen and a matching time piece.
It's almost like you're back in the States, now isn't it, gotta show you are worth talking to? ;)

... J-D.
Not too crazy about it, but it is what it is.

Not up to me to change their culture. Not trying to out-do anyone, just want to show I understand the game...

I suppose bidness is bidness everywhere...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
IMO, the word NOT is missing here... :tired:
We had a necklace stolen which was forwarded via CPS.
The small envelope had the word 'jewelry'on it.
Value was really low (Chinese stuff as we are poor campesinos ;) ), so not much damage done... but a nuisance.

donP

Who is CPS?

I'm sure Fedex and UPS can adequately handle this and insurance can be bought as well.

Also, it is my understanding that no duty is charged on items like this.

I wouldn't trust anyone else on this island.