Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No Entry: Black

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No Entry: Black

I live in Santo Domingo. I work here and I've made my life here for the past four years. As with everything in life, there is the good and the bad. To me, this is one of the worst aspects of the capital and of Dominican culture as a whole.

Last night, two American friends of mine, who live and work here as well, went out for a night on the town in Santo Domingo. We first went to Coyote Bar on Paseo de los Locutores, then to Avenida Venezuela, where we stayed till the bars closed. From there, the afterhour party moved to Mint in the Hotel Napolitano on the Malecón.

I walked right in the club: no questions. I am a Dominican/American, but I have light skin and look like a foreigner. My other friend is also Dominican/American; light skin but looks way more Dominican than me. He walked right past the ropes as well. My second friend is African American and was walking behind us...He was stopped at the entrance. He speaks little Spanish. "This is a private party", said the doorman.

I've been down this road before with other African American friends at several spots in the city. I don't make scenes. I usually just leave. This time I did something I was not proud of.

Because I had a few drinks in me and we had met other friends (OK girls) on Venezuela, they had already arrived at Mint and were waiting for us. All I wanted was to go in. So, instead of just leaving, I told the security guards that my friend was a visiting tourist from the US and that we were just here to have a good time. Sad. Can you imagine? Would it have mattered if he was a black Dominican? Or black any nationality for that matter? I just figured he would have a better chance if he was a foreigner.

There was no way. "A private party?", I asked over and over again. "At three in the morning?". I just got a lot of shaking heads: "No". We were forced to call it a night. Back home in Jersey, we call these moments "buzz kills".

I cannot speak for other sections of the country, but in Santo Domingo, this is a reality. It's such hypocrisy in my mind when there is so much African influence in this country. There is a gap in this mindset; a gap in this culture.

I'm venting since I just woke up. I make a living from informing visitors about Santo Domingo and we develop a guide to promote it to the world. As I said earlier in this post, everything has its good and bad. This is a negative aspect of our capital and greater Dominican culture. It puts me in a temporary "why am I here?" mood. Today, I'll go to the beach and try to remind myself.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How was your friend dressed? I have seen people given the private party routine for things like flip flops, no collared shirt, etc.

I am not saying you are wrong about the reason he was denied entry, just saying there could be other reasons as well.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again.
    Piachardo and NALS will say that there is no racism in the D.R.
    Somebody will point out all the photo-shopped political advertisements.
    There will be a tooing and froing and the thread will be closed.

Your buddy (who got refused entry) and you know the truth now though.....
    That sucks.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Racism as everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post
    Here we go again.
    Piachardo and NALS will say that there is no racism in the D.R.
    Somebody will point out___
    ... that it could have happened anywhere.

donP

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully on my planet we have no such problems - the Greens have been assimilated and the Stripy Blues have finally gained some political power.

You earthlings will catch on soon enough......

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This is sad. But I have had less than the best of treatment also in Santiago due to color at times until I pretended not to speak Spanish. It seems in Santiago at least, that being American trumps being Black. (even though I am both!!)
    Sad
    SHALENA

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we should have more reports of venues like this, so people can boycott them. Maybe even put a sticky : "Racist Venues to Avoid while in the DR". I always say, boycott by one person will not make or break the business, but boycott by masses will...

I hope the owners of the club / hotel will see this and will take appropriate actions (of course, if they won't start threatening legal action against DR1 if the negative report is not removed, as we have heard on the board before on some occasions) ...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Racism is everywhere, fortunately it's not as prevalent here in the DR as in other place, like the US.

I think we should all consider giving these guys some bad press by having everyone and their friends send them an email to let them know how disgusting this is and in fact unpatriotic as many of Dominicans previous leaders were dark skinned. He is a link to a Facebook announcement and the hotel. My emails are on the way.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17087519998

http://www.napolitanohotel.com/1.aspx
    Last edited by Chip; 04-11-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

tjmurray, we absolutely know this happens (prior examples from US Embassy & Dominican journalists carrying out research) and it is important that it is documented as you have done here. Would it also be worth sending to a paper like Clave Digital?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i think we should see photos on how they were dressed before bringing out the pitchforks

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast