Just moved to DR and I need a car! Help me out!

s4dlite

Apr 11, 2010
So as the title states, I just moved to Santo Domingo from Tampa, Fla. and I need to purchase a vehicle.

I am very interested in buying a VW Jetta 2001-2004. I wouldn't mind considering a VW GTI of the same years or even better I would jump on a VW R32 no questions asked. I would prefer the vehicle be manual.

I would definitely consider a Jeep Wrangler/Sahara/Rubicon.

Other vehicles I would be interested in include Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS300, Honda S2000 or other convertibles.

If you have a car that I haven't mentioned, let me know. There are a lot of cars I'd be willing to look at that I haven't thought about!
If you or a friend know of someone please do let me know. I appreciate it. I may also have the ability to pay in dollars ;)

Thanks in advance!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I've driven new Jettas... the one with the 2.0T engine is quite fun... in the States.
However, unless you are going to live in Santo Domingo exclusively, I think that a Toyota SUV or PU truck would serve you better. I'd stay away from Wranglers and most US vehicles, parts are not always readily available and gas is even more expensive than in the US. Diesel vehicles rules here IMHO unless you want to try a cooking gas conversion.

Where exactly have you moved to?

... J-D.

s4dlite

Apr 11, 2010
I wish i could edit the thread more than once! grrr. little things keep popping in and out of my head as i need to add a few more details.

anyways i would definitely look into a VW diesel aka a tdi. and i am also willing to travel to pick the vehicle up if the deal is right.

and JD yes the 2.0t is mighty fun. i am quite a VW aficionado hence why i am looking for the right one while i am here.

i am in santo domingo on penson near the mormon temple. I'm aware of the gas and yes it does scare me a bit to be basically in the single digit mpg's around town. but i can find good use for it.

thanks for the heads up JD

s4dlite

Apr 11, 2010
one way to see what's out there... and get an idea of prices... SuperCarros - Rep?blica Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos

only reason i don't do this is to avoid dealer fees and markups. plus i know how nice it is to sell a car to an individual and THEY get their money not half of it staying in somone elses pocket. that way i can get a feel for the car and ask question to the person who has owned it.

but i will check that out as well as emarket. any others i could check up on?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
well a Jeep CJ with a 2.0L 4cyl is reliable if you can find one. OR a 80s Ford Bronco Jr.(most of the parts are interchangeable with the Mazda B-2000 baby pick-ups.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
only reason i don't do this is to avoid dealer fees and markups. plus i know how nice it is to sell a car to an individual and THEY get their money not half of it staying in somone elses pocket. that way i can get a feel for the car and ask question to the person who has owned it.

but i will check that out as well as emarket. any others i could check up on?

a fair # of the cars on the site are for sale by private party, but the majority are dealer listings

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Don't buy an Altezza. Parts are incredibly difficult to find and when you do find them they are over-the-top expensive.

Parts for an IS 300 are easier to find (toyota dealership) but just as expensive. Gas mileage on these cars is terrible as well.

If those things dont bother you, then the Altezza is a great buy. Tough as nails car and can be had for some really good prices (everyone wants to get rid of theirs for those two previously mentioned reasons).

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
A good friend in Haiti thought that Mazda BT50 and Ford Ranger parts were interchangeable - they are virtually the same car.
He found that the Mazda parts did not last long in the Ford. I think the cam shaft was way less sturdy in the Mazda variety.

Also,

The Jetta is fun.
I thought I was buying a sensible little family car to put the child seat in.
I really wanted something sporty after all the pick-up trucks of the last few years in Haiti, but being a sensible chap went for the 'boring' option.
I mean, come on, a Jetta! My gran could drive this!
I bought a racing green 2.0 litre version so imagine my surprise when I put my foot down - Yippee!

You have to take it real slow over the speed humps though.

It goes round corners like you would not believe.
But as I say, I have been driving diesel pick-ups for the last few years so anything would track well after those ungainly lumps of steel.

It must be said, however, if you intend to run drunk moto-conchos off the road an SUV with bull-bars is a better bet.

s4dlite

Apr 11, 2010
yea i'm not much into SUV. i like to be low to the ground regardless of the road situation and all that. i mean ideally i would drive a go kart and whip around town to and from work but i don't have a death wish just yet. I like cars, always have and the jeep (wrangler specifically not a prado or kia) is something i threw in there because if i have it, i will use it, if i don't then no harm. Thanks to all of you for getting back to me. I've already gotten several pm's and a fair share of responses here.

ps: pedro let me get that email from ya too! my email should be posted up in my profile just in case i mistyped it when i sent it to you. :thumbup:

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
yea i'm not much into SUV. i like to be low to the ground regardless of the road situation and all that. i mean ideally i would drive a go kart and whip around town to and from work but i don't have a death wish just yet. I like cars, always have and the jeep (wrangler specifically not a prado or kia) is something i threw in there because if i have it, i will use it, if i don't then no harm. Thanks to all of you for getting back to me. I've already gotten several pm's and a fair share of responses here.

ps: pedro let me get that email from ya too! my email should be posted up in my profile just in case i mistyped it when i sent it to you. :thumbup:

I sent you a couple of photos - it looks like it could do with a trip to the carwash in the photos - it looks much nicer when it is clean and shiny.

s4dlite

Apr 11, 2010
thanks pedro. i will keep this in mind. i still need to keep shopping around just to make sure i make the right decision.

anything else out there please let me know ladies n gents!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
yea i'm not much into SUV. i like to be low to the ground regardless of the road situation and all that.
You need to drive the roads here to understand why your desire to be "low" is the wrong tool for the job.

SUV's are plentiful here for a reason, and it's not just style. Cars take a real beating here, especially cute little econoboxes.

Get a vehicle with a real chassis. Thank me later.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You need to drive the roads here to understand why your desire to be "low" is the wrong tool for the job.

SUV's are plentiful here for a reason, and it's not just style. Cars take a real beating here, especially cute little econoboxes.

Get a vehicle with a real chassis. Thank me later.

I agree for the most part. If you live in the North then an SUV is a good idea.
Down south these days we have asphalt almost all over the roads and I have no problem driving a regular saloon car.
(I am not just saying this as I am selling a saloon car)
Santo Domingo is absolutely fine unless somebody steals a manhole cover.

Between Santo Domingo and Higuey (and most of the way on to Punta Cana) and Santo Domingo and Santiago the roads are fine for a regular car.
Even between Puerto Plata and Cabarete the roads are relatively well appointed.

I am still torn about what I would buy in the future. But I like being able to overtake dumb drivers in their SUVs and I also enjoy using half the gasoline. When the mood takes me I like being able to go fast too.

But as you say, SUVs are sturdier - just a little boring unless you have mega-bucks.
Certainly for Santo Domingo a regular car is excellent on costs and pleasure.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
On VW and Audi you will change suspension here faster than a brake pads.
They have one of the worthless, weakest suspension - and the parts are pretty expensive also. I deal with them on a daily base.
I'd get an asian SUV here.

The Hun

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

s4dlite

Apr 11, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for all your input. Unfortunately this thread got a little off topic. I understand the roads here, I know what they are like and I know what it takes "to be low". I'm not going to be dragging my car on the ground, I just rather a car; an SUV is far too unstable for my liking. I am a VW aficionado, I know how to fix and play with the car, I know when and how things need to be done, and I can swap out an entire suspension in an hour, but I'm not worried about parts, I need a car. I know the ins and outs thats why I wanted to find one.

But we got off topic, I need to find a car, not "what type of car would you drive here?". I posted and figured there were people around who may have friends or they themselves have a vehicle the may want to sell.

But by all means continue the discussion, just try to stay on topic.

Thanks to all for your input!