Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just moved to DR and I need a car! Help me out!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just moved to DR and I need a car! Help me out!

So as the title states, I just moved to Santo Domingo from Tampa, Fla. and I need to purchase a vehicle.

I am very interested in buying a VW Jetta 2001-2004. I wouldn't mind considering a VW GTI of the same years or even better I would jump on a VW R32 no questions asked. I would prefer the vehicle be manual.

I would definitely consider a Jeep Wrangler/Sahara/Rubicon.

Other vehicles I would be interested in include Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS300, Honda S2000 or other convertibles.

If you have a car that I haven't mentioned, let me know. There are a lot of cars I'd be willing to look at that I haven't thought about!
    If you or a friend know of someone please do let me know. I appreciate it. I may also have the ability to pay in dollars

Thanks in advance!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've driven new Jettas... the one with the 2.0T engine is quite fun... in the States.
    However, unless you are going to live in Santo Domingo exclusively, I think that a Toyota SUV or PU truck would serve you better. I'd stay away from Wranglers and most US vehicles, parts are not always readily available and gas is even more expensive than in the US. Diesel vehicles rules here IMHO unless you want to try a cooking gas conversion.

Where exactly have you moved to?

... J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just sent you a pm

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish i could edit the thread more than once! grrr. little things keep popping in and out of my head as i need to add a few more details.

anyways i would definitely look into a VW diesel aka a tdi. and i am also willing to travel to pick the vehicle up if the deal is right.

and JD yes the 2.0t is mighty fun. i am quite a VW aficionado hence why i am looking for the right one while i am here.

i am in santo domingo on penson near the mormon temple. I'm aware of the gas and yes it does scare me a bit to be basically in the single digit mpg's around town. but i can find good use for it.

thanks for the heads up JD

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

one way to see what's out there... and get an idea of prices... SuperCarros - República Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

pm replied.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    one way to see what's out there... and get an idea of prices... SuperCarros - República Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos
    only reason i don't do this is to avoid dealer fees and markups. plus i know how nice it is to sell a car to an individual and THEY get their money not half of it staying in somone elses pocket. that way i can get a feel for the car and ask question to the person who has owned it.

but i will check that out as well as emarket. any others i could check up on?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

well a Jeep CJ with a 2.0L 4cyl is reliable if you can find one. OR a 80s Ford Bronco Jr.(most of the parts are interchangeable with the Mazda B-2000 baby pick-ups.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s4dlite View Post
    only reason i don't do this is to avoid dealer fees and markups. plus i know how nice it is to sell a car to an individual and THEY get their money not half of it staying in somone elses pocket. that way i can get a feel for the car and ask question to the person who has owned it.

but i will check that out as well as emarket. any others i could check up on?
    a fair # of the cars on the site are for sale by private party, but the majority are dealer listings

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't buy an Altezza. Parts are incredibly difficult to find and when you do find them they are over-the-top expensive.

Parts for an IS 300 are easier to find (toyota dealership) but just as expensive. Gas mileage on these cars is terrible as well.

If those things dont bother you, then the Altezza is a great buy. Tough as nails car and can be had for some really good prices (everyone wants to get rid of theirs for those two previously mentioned reasons).
    Last edited by NV_; 04-11-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast